cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Inserting Versions

wfalco
15-Moonstone

Inserting Versions

All,

I have a situation where we had two drawings releases, A & B. The changes were done concurrently. However, someone asked if another change can be added to A. Well, I pulled A up "as stored". No problem. Can get a print and make someone happy. However...ideally that version should be slipped into the iteration history - if anyone really cared - and they may not. As long as I have the print of the change, I can turn a blind eye. But I was wondering if it would be possible to slip that the A+ version after A and before B? This may involve some parts and assemblies? I have some tricky things I may be able to get away with. But...if there is a technique, please share?

Thanks,

Wayne

Creo 4.0

WC 

11.0 M030-CPS13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:wfalco)

Have had to do this at times over the years.

Very messy if you have WTParts and change management, and integration w/other systems, but assuming just CAD data management:

- Preserve files for Rev B (export from workspace)

- Delete Rev B

- Bring original Rev A into workspace

- Import modified Rev A to workspace, select Add as Modified to any that should have changed and ReUse existing for any that should not change.

- Check in modified Rev A

- Revise to Rev B in workspace

- Import preserved Rev B

- Check in Rev B

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Have had to do this at times over the years.

Very messy if you have WTParts and change management, and integration w/other systems, but assuming just CAD data management:

- Preserve files for Rev B (export from workspace)

- Delete Rev B

- Bring original Rev A into workspace

- Import modified Rev A to workspace, select Add as Modified to any that should have changed and ReUse existing for any that should not change.

- Check in modified Rev A

- Revise to Rev B in workspace

- Import preserved Rev B

- Check in Rev B

An additional step after you check-in Rev B again.

Revise the rev B with the same added change done to the rev A.

If you don't do this then the rev B will not match what came from rev A.

As for version history, it will be a bit convoluted, but explainable,

wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:BenLoosli)

Hmm. Thank you. I have not decided to pull the trigger yet. Appreciate the input.
wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:MikeLockwood)

I've yet to try. But this looks good. I am debating if I will attempt or wait till I have to? But thanks for the response!
joe_morton
17-Peridot

If it's just a drawing change, you can do these steps:

Check out the A.X version. Windchill by default will give you an overrideable conflict preventing you from checking out a version that is not the latest. 

Make the changes in A.X and then check in

Your changes will be checked in as A.X+1 (which doesn't affect revision B at all)

This obviously gets much more complicated if your changes also affect models, WTParts, etc., but the same logic applies to other items in Windchill

wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:joe_morton)

Now this is along the lines of something I would do off the cuff. Good stuff. Thanks for contributing. I may wait till the drawings are officially released till I muck around. If I even do. This is all good logistically speaking. But may just be a preparation for what likely will never be something ever revisited?
Top Tags