cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Integration with Arbortext Editor in Citrix?

Ninjette
1-Newbie

Integration with Arbortext Editor in Citrix?

Does anybody have an integration with Arbortext Editor in the Citrix environment?

7 REPLIES 7

Jodi,

I work for a system integrator and we have implemented several Arbortext/Citrix installations. What specifically are you looking for?

Scott Youngblom

Oberon Technologies

www.oberontech.com

Does this integration include a content manager?

Do you have more than one environment within Citrix? (ie: dev, test, prod) and if yes, is the Editor accessible from within the same Citrix instance (log into Citrix one time then have separate areas for each environment)?

Yes. We have implemented the Citrix enviroment with Editor, Arbortext Content Manager, Arbortext Publishing Engine, etc. We have also implemented the Citrix environment with Arbortext Editor and other CMS's.

We normally implement with several environments involved - Production, Test, Dev, Sand Box, etc.

There are several ways/approaches you can implement the Citrix inviroment. You can set up the environment where you log into Citrix the first time and access all of your environments from that same log in. In addition, based on your log in, you can have access to only certain enviroments based on your user role. The set up and configuation proess is quite flexible.

Perfect. I'm looking at precisely what you described: Citrix with Editor integrated with Arbortext Content Manager and Arbortext Publishing Engine. The user will log in and, based on Citrix role, will have access to either Dev, Test, Prod, or all.

Do you have any recommendations or "gotchas" on how to handle cache for Arbortext Editor integrated with Arbortext Content Manager in this type of environment? Same with Arbortext Editor preferences.

Do you know if anything is stored on the client from Arbortext Editor or ACM in this environment?

Do you have any recommendations or gotchas; on how to handle cache for Arbortext Editor integrated with Arbortext Content Manager in this type of environment? Same with Arbortext Editor preferences.

Answer - there really is no gotchas for cache or preferences. In a Citrix environment cache is written to the Citrix box. The only gotcha would be if you use a single sign-on for more then one perso to use....the system/cache could get messed up or confused creating some problems. However, if everyone has a separate Citrix log-in you will be fine.

Do you know if anything is stored on the client from Arbortext Editor or ACM in this environment?

Answer: In a Citrix environment the only thing stored on the client side is a small Citrix file called the ICA file. This is a small plug in that gets downloaded the first time by the end user in order to connect from the clients machine (via http) to the server where the Editor and ACM reside.

Liz, thanks for the input

Scott, you said: The only gotcha would be if you use a single sign-on for more thanone person to use... the system/cache could get messed up or confused creating some problems.

Can you elaborate onthis? Are you talking about WSSO? Or do you mean one log-in that is being used by more than one person? And can you let me know what happens? Because I believe this does occur today. Also is this in reference to going through Citrix to open Arbortext Editor and then connect to ACM? As opposed to going through the web interface?

Also, the reason I ask about the cache in Citrix is because when when we first implemented this, the user's profiles were filling up too fast and blowing because the cache was directed to them. So we re-directed the cache to an alternate location. Initially we re-directed teh cache for each environment (dev, test, prod) to three separate locations. But then we decided tocombine these to one location. So the cache is stored in teh following directory structure:

\<User_ID>\Application Data\PTC\Windchilll Integration\.wcAdapater\.localCache\atwncint\.cache

SO there are three folders inside the .cache directory. One for dev, one for test, one for prod. The cache for the integrated ACM/Arbortext Editor instance is stored in its respective folder (the folder with the server name of the ACM server for that environment).

What I'm wondering is:

Are there any potential risks by doing this? And if yes, what? Or is it just a bad idea in general?

What happens to the cache areas if I update one of these application instances? Will there be any impact to the cache for any of the other environments? For example, if I update Arbortext Editor in Dev from 5.3 to 5.4, will that cause issue with the cache in that directory for prod and test? Or if I update ACM from 9.0 to 9.1 for test, will it cause issue with the cache in that directory for dev or prod? Any other potential issues with this type of set up?

Thanks in advance....

lfraley
6-Contributor
(To:Ninjette)

Lots of customers are doing this.. This is fairly common, especially when you have long distances between repository and authors. For instance, when the content management system is in Texas and the writer is in India. It's far better to send screen information across the pipe than try to send all the source data.

Arbortext Content Manager (Windchill) is a web-based application, so it may or may not make any difference for it to be on Citrix or not.

Top Tags