cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Intralink 10.0: Moving a Part from a "Product" to a "Library"

ScottPearson
3-Visitor

Intralink 10.0: Moving a Part from a "Product" to a "Library"

Fellow 'Chillers,

I want to move a Partfrom aProduct Folder to a Library Folder. I am (wrongly?)assumingI should used the Move action to do this.

But when performing the Move action to assign a New Location, the Set Location dialog only allows me to choose other Product Folders as New Locations.

I am about to dive into the hundreds of pages of PTC Guides (again) to search for an answer, but does anyone know the process for moving a Part from a Product Folder to a Library Folder?

TIA.

3 REPLIES 3

Move should work here as long as you have the following iirc:

1- Permissions to do so on both contexts (just do it as an Admin)

2- Revision Sequence/Lifecycle are the same in the OIR's of both the source and the target

a. I don't recall exactly what is required here but I'm pretty sure the Rev sequence is required to be the same

[cid:image001.gif@01CDDD0B.1C3B9CE0]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer

All:

Chalk this one up to operator error. (Hey, at least I'm confessing my sins!<g>)

It turns out that the target Library was in my New Location list of my Move all along, but I had overlooked it. Once I discovered the Library name nestled amongst the Product names in the Context list, the Move occurred as expected.

But the "why" behind my overlooking it may assist others in preventing similar misteps in the future. Since a Product and a Library are two different animals in Windchill/Intralink,I had mistakenly assumed that a Library name would not be nestled into the same list as the Product names. I had expected that I would have to navigate "up" one Context level above the list of Products in order to drill down into a list of Libraries. That's a rather intuitive reflex given the hierarchal Domain structure of Windchill/Intralink -- but nonetheless a wrong reflex.

Thanks to those who replied. Sorry for the fire drill, but still a lesson was learned.

Actually, Products and Libraries are not different animals, they are siblings. The only difference is that Products have an End Item and Libraries don't. With that understanding, it hopefully makes more sense that they would all show up together in your target list. But one has to admit that it can be confusing, since in many places, like browsing, they are kept separate.

Mark Plimley NxRev, Inc.
PLM Implementer/Trainer
3375 Scott Blvd #306
markp@nxrev.com Santa Clara, CA 95054

Top Tags