cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intralink 3.4 to Windchill 9.0 issues.

Highlighted
Participant

I’m on my second test migration. My 1<sup>st</sup> attempt was semi-successful, however I used it to just to get a feel for what was involved in migration. I did however note that it neglected to migrate few Pro/Engineer files without telling me in any logs.

With this 2<sup>nd</sup> attempt I took the lessons learned from the first attempt and applied them. (Common Names, Documents with more then 32-characters, objects with same names in different cases, instance accelerators with no parents, correct location for folders, and the list goes on.) This migration brought the files into Windchill more like I we want so I started taking a closer look at our files to ensure they migrated successfully.

I’m hoping that I’ve made a terrible mistake somewhere for this 2<sup>nd</sup> test migration has been a horrible failure. It would appear that during migration the family tables have been altered. The only column left in any of our family tables is the “Common Name” column. Everything else has been wiped out. All the varied parameters and dimensions are gone from the family tables. Needless to say this causes problems.

Furthermore if you compare the migrated ProE files in Windchill to those Intralink 3.4 with a binary/text file comparison tool I find that the ProE file shave been radically altered. I expected some header information to be changed such as line 006 with REVS and line 010 with Common Name (CMNM), however larger sections of the rest of the files have been changed. In some areas info has been added in others info has been taken out, in other areas it has just simply changed. No changes have been made to binaries such as .PDFs.

Has anyone seen anything like this? What is going on with the files during migration? I’m actually dumbfounded. I guess I’ll have to try migration #3 and/or open a call with PTC.

Dave Engel

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

RE: Intralink 3.4 to Windchill 9.0 issues.

Well, I’m dumping this test migration and starting over. I called PTC; however we are not exactly sure where I went wrong. Apparently somewhere during migration the Pro/E family tables are redone. I’m guessing it happens somewhere between the “ildataloader FT” and “ildataloader FileTransfer”

I’ve also found that out of the box the Windchill installation doesn’t allocate enough JAVA Heap for my purposes. I found this out later, but it may have caused problems with my “ildataloader FT” run.

This time I’ll have big JAVA Heap to run this Windchill!!! You have to love these terms; I wish software developers would use more automotive terminology, however.

“Well, your Hemi (JAVA) is only running on 2 Barrels (Not enough Heap allocated), so you better make sure the secondary’s are opening (allocate more Heap). This way your elapsed time will go down (Windchill will run better).

D

Highlighted

RE: Intralink 3.4 to Windchill 9.0 issues.

Windchill Folks,

PTC has identified my issue with the ProE family tables that are wiped out during migration. They say a fix will be available for M020 for the data migrator. I find it curios that the F000 and M010 versions of the migrator are no-longer available to download from PTC’s website. I wonder if other databases were seeing the issue?

I don’t see a lot of discussion regarding migrating from 3.4 to 9.0 on the boards lately. What is everyone up too? Good/bad about 9.0? Are people waiting for 9.1?

Sorry for the dual post, but I wanted to catch Intralink 3.x and Windchill 8/9 users.

Dave Engel

Highlighted

Since we just moved to 8.0 M040 this summer, we have no near term plans
to jump to 9.0. Let them get a few maintenance releases under their
belt and we'll look at it. F000 and M010 are too bleeding edge for my
taste, especially when you consider this is holding your family jewels.

Highlighted

FYI,

Announcements