cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Is Info*Engine included under a Windchill license, or is it a seperate purchase?

pnelson
3-Visitor

Is Info*Engine included under a Windchill license, or is it a seperate purchase?

The software for Info*Engine appears to be downloadable, but I am unclear on the licensing requirements.  Thanks for your help.

7 REPLIES 7

Info Engine is default component for all Windchill Installations and it is required to complete the installation of Windchill. There are several functions in Windchill which are dependent on I*E. So all WC users will have I*E in the download list and will be installed in all the installs.

From a license front, if you use I*E for basic tasks/customizations within the system you don't need to procure any additional I*E licenses. If you are using it for interrogations with other data systems then they would need to buy additional licenses

Thanks

Binesh Kumar

Thanks for replying.  Our interest is specifically for the ERP Connector functionality, which I believe is included in Info*Engine.  Is that correct?

That's correct. ERP connector requires Info*Engine External Server Access license. This is 1:1 with Windchill Heavy and light licenses.

Thanks

Binesh Kumar

Thanks again.  Are you saying that if we already own the Heavy licenses we already own the ERP Connector licenses?

No, I am sorry about the confusion. You should procure I*E licenses for all the heavy and light users in the system if you want to use ERP connector.

Binesh,

You say that it is OK to use the I*E license that comes with Windchill for basic tasks/customisations within the system - would this cover a customisation that used Windchill's I*E to interrogate the Windchill DB for reporting on data in the Windchill System (ie only being used within the Windchill System, not connecting to any non-PTC data sources/systems)?

It's something that has never been clear to us and could be of interest.

Rgds

Gary

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:GaryMansell)

It would seem so.  It seems like additional licensing is only required if Windchill is extracting data directly from another system or the other system is directly requesting data from Windchill.  Using Windchill to extract data automatically and then leave it somewhere in read-only form, even if consumed by another system, seems to be allowed.

From the Licensing Basis Document:

Integrations. If the Customer creates an interface or otherwise enables access between a Windchill implementation and a non-PTC system, then Customer must purchase one Windchill External Server Access Registered User License for each of Customer’s Windchill Registered User Licenses within that Windchill implementation.

PDM Essentials (Probably more restrictive than Windchill)
Customer is not allowed to use Windchill Info*Engine with Windchill PDM Essentials except in the following cases:

• Use of the JNDI adapter is allowed to enable directory services integrations such as with Microsoft Active Directory. No other Info*Engine adaptors may be used.
  • Use of Info*Engine queries and tasks to export data for read-only use in external systems (such as in ERP or MRP systems) is allowed. The ESI and ERP integrations may not be used and bi-directional integration with any external system other than a directory service may not be created.
Top Tags