cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Is it ok to create a new organisation to use for simple testing in a production environment?

DavidBrand
14-Alexandrite

Is it ok to create a new organisation to use for simple testing in a production environment?

Is it possible to create another organisation in a production environment to use for testing? for example if organisation ABC exists, is it ok to create a new organisation called TEST that no users in ABC can access? Just wondering if this is easier than having a seperate server install?

Thanks

David.

1 REPLY 1

In theory, it should be fine from a technical standpoint. But I vaguely remember having problems with multiple organizations in previous releases, though I don't even remember any specific instances.

However, I personally don't agree with doing any "development and testing" on a production system, other than maybe load testing or something similar. In my opinion, production is reserved for "this is what works."

This answer probably didn't help, but at least gave you something to think about.

Good luck

PS, you can clone a production system and be up and running relatively easily via use of the hosts file and a file system copy, assuming you don't mind keeping the same host name on the new machine. Vaulting may add a bit more complexity. Just be sure you have all your hostnames and aliases covered before you fire up the new instance. You don't want to hit your production DB from this system.

Top Tags