cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Is there a way to access an EPM Doc without the WGM (AutoCAD)?

pcnelson
1-Newbie

Is there a way to access an EPM Doc without the WGM (AutoCAD)?

Say we decide to drop all maintenance for AutoCAD and thenlater upgrade PDMLink. The AutoCAD WGM associatedwith the new PDMLink will not support the now out of date AutoCAD software, so what would be our options for maintaining that AutoCAD data?

1 REPLY 1

Jim Lambertz <Jim.Lambertz@daktronics.com>
10:56 AM (3 minutes ago)

to me

Pete,I’m glad to hear that someone else is actually using AutoCAD drawing in Windchill. I’ll add a couple comments to add to your questions. (We are using the WGM integration to title blocks) 1. Auto Desk now is on 2014 versions and generally supports back 4 versions so for example 2010 support would be going bye-bye. Good thing is that it has always been AutoDesk practice to read old file formats. That is, I can still read dwg version 2.18 files with the application.2. I have seen that PTC is not on the bleeding edge and has just barley turn on 2013 version support. They continue to only support Single Document processes. (My biggest concern for change. This suggests only one drawing at a time is handle in and out of the WGM.)3. Here we have seen that opening and using old drawings with WGM seems to be good all the back to 2008. I do know for example that I have had to set the AutoCAD startup to convert old style polylines to the newer format. I believe this occurred around version 2002 AutoCAD.4. Every time there is a new WGM version and particularly with a revision 8 9 10 and M version I have had great concern that something will break.5. I don’t know the specifics of Creo View 2 and viewable generation going back revisions but you might consider this issue too.

I would believe going forward you could open the files with a newer version of AutoCAD which would have to be compatible with your the current version of WGM. Jim

Thanks for the reply Jim.

Regarding your last comment - what if we quit updating AutoCAD? For example, stayed at 2012, and upgraded to a PDMLink release that was 3 or 4 revs higher than current? The data in PDMLik is 2012,we still haveAcad 2012, but the "new" WGM only supports 2014/2013. How do you get the data out, modify it, and get it back in? Would the viewables still be created for new or modified objects?

Thanks,

Pete

Top Tags