cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Is there a way to search for a highlighted text in Windchill?

mrestreposoto
1-Newbie

Is there a way to search for a highlighted text in Windchill?

I search for text strings in Windchill all the time. I have to open the browser, go to the Windchill address, write/paste the text string in the search bar, and click search.

Is there a way just to highlight the string in Microsoft Office or Windows Explorer and right click so in the context menu something like "Search in Windchill" comes up?

If not, is there a quicker method to do a search?

Thank you for your help.

4 REPLIES 4

Hi,

I am not sure about 'Is there a way just to highlight the string in Microsoft Office or Windows Explorer and right click so in the context menu something like "Search in Windchill" comes up?'

However, if there is a kind of search that you perform regularly then you can create a saved search for the same. This will prevent you from adding the numerous criteria all the time before searching. You can find a link for 'Save this Search ' on the main windchill page.

-Malavika

You may want to look into Windchill Desktop Integration. I don't believe DTI adds a search in Windchill to the right click context menu. But, it does add a Windchill tab to Microsoft Office applications that allows you to search Windchill from Microsoft Office. Below is the link to the DTI page of the Windchill Help Center. This page discusses the DTI functionality and provides instructions for installing the DTI plugin:

http://support.ptc.com/cs/help/windchill_hc/wc101_hc/index.jspx?id=DTIAbout&action=show

Yes, as Chris mentioned, Windchill Desktop Integration supports a comprehensive search from within Microsoft Office and also offers a Name/Number and Index search from Windows Explorer. The search panel in Office is a standard Windchill component, so you can configure this to show the information you want.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:sm)

Sorry, I hate to post suggestions without details. If you want more information on customizing the search panel, check out PTC CS Article CS124515.

Top Tags