cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Is there a way to show the first iteration information for Created By and Created On attributes?

mdrum
6-Contributor

Is there a way to show the first iteration information for Created By and Created On attributes?

Look at the following example of a document created in Windchill PDMLink:

Details and History Views.jpg

Looking at the history view at the bottom of the above image, a document was created by "User 1" on 2015-09-17 13:51 EDT at version A.1.  It went through a series of changes.  On 2016-05-06 09:23 EDT, a change administrator (User 2) revised the object as part of an ECN to make version C.1.  Then the document was checked out and changed, and checked back in once again on 2016-07-26 11:31 EDT by User 1 and then the document was released again.

If you look at the details view for the current version (C.2), it lists the "Created By" user as User 2, on the date when C.1 was created.  This is not intuitive to the users, and we prefer to see the date of the A.1 version and the individual who created that version. 

Is there a way to get "Created By" and "Created On" to reflect that?

7 REPLIES 7
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:mdrum)

That information is only carried in Windchill on a per revision level. You have found it on the History page, but the item description page will only show it for the latest revision.

If you want to use that information on a drawing, so it doesn't change, that can be done using relations to 'lock' the revision A created information.

mdrum
6-Contributor
(To:BenLoosli)

Thank you Ben.  Unfortunately, what I ultimately need to do is be able to perform a search, or run a report to try to find out who the creator was of an object, and when it was created.  When I go into a folder view of a Product or Library, and include the "Created By" and "Created On" columns in my table display, it gives me the same information as the details page.  If I do a search, I get the same results.  I can't afford to open up every drawing, or every document to get to this information.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:mdrum)

You may be able to get the information you want from Query Report against the DB directly since all the information is in there.

You can generate a report easily using revision=A and iteration=1 as constraint
I think this is available in a search as well

mdrum
6-Contributor
(To:OliverDroop)

Thank you Oliver - that would be a great idea if all of my object history always started at A.1.  For years, we had a dash and then we had numbers and then we finally just started with A.  So that would not capture all of the older objects.

Ben,

That's interesting to me. Could you please elaborate on how to achieve this (lock using relations)?

Regards,

Manjunath

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:manjunathrv)

The information that is in the titleblock that is static for all revisions of a part number utilize custom relations so they do not get changed as the part progresses.

We were setting the ECN #, Created By and Created Date as the locked parameters.

Depending on your revision scheme is how you handle this, we used numeric revisions.

/* Set initial_ecn = to ecn from windchill only when rev is 0

if ptc_wm_revision == "0"

initial_ecn = ecn

initial_created_by = ptc_wm_created_by

initial_created_on = short_created_on

endif

Top Tags