cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Is there a way to work with old versions in windchill?

AB_10071442
13-Aquamarine

Is there a way to work with old versions in windchill?

When you check the changes on a model into windchill, a version with the corresponding changes is later accessible in windchill. But if you find out a few versions later, that you e. g. want a specific revolve back in a certain place, how can you pick that up from the old version? Because as far as I know, it is not possible, to check out the old and the new version at the same time. And if you use several workspaces, then you can check out both but not work on them at the same time. I can not just go back to the old version, because I want to keep the majority of the part version that is up to date.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It is possible to check out a non-latest iteration. See here:

https://support.ptc.com/help/wnc/r12.0.2.0/en/#page/Windchill_Help_Center%2FCADxFileMenuNon-latestObjCheckOut.html

But you should think hard if you want your users to be allowed to do this.

another option is to delete latest and roll back iterations to that one that you want in case there was a check in that you do not want any more. Remember that if you have a linked WTPart, you have to delete its latest too. Also, some of this involves items in people's workspace which you might need to be an admin to resolve.

The other option is to do what I call a leap-frog, taking an older iteration and making it the latest.  What you do is in a clean workspace, download the earlier iteration and retrieve into session. Then you update your workspace to pull down the latest but when asked to update your models in session, YOU SAY NO. Check out that object and then save what you have in session. Then check in. This will bring you back to that earlier iteration but it will now be latest.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

It is possible to check out a non-latest iteration. See here:

https://support.ptc.com/help/wnc/r12.0.2.0/en/#page/Windchill_Help_Center%2FCADxFileMenuNon-latestObjCheckOut.html

But you should think hard if you want your users to be allowed to do this.

another option is to delete latest and roll back iterations to that one that you want in case there was a check in that you do not want any more. Remember that if you have a linked WTPart, you have to delete its latest too. Also, some of this involves items in people's workspace which you might need to be an admin to resolve.

The other option is to do what I call a leap-frog, taking an older iteration and making it the latest.  What you do is in a clean workspace, download the earlier iteration and retrieve into session. Then you update your workspace to pull down the latest but when asked to update your models in session, YOU SAY NO. Check out that object and then save what you have in session. Then check in. This will bring you back to that earlier iteration but it will now be latest.

@avillanueva 

I wouldn't say it better way. 

PetrH

Hari_Vara
13-Aquamarine
(To:AB_10071442)

Hi,

There are ways to get older versions in Windchill, as other experts here have pointed out.

For historical data, you may use those methods described.

For something which you want to do it as SOP, I can think of using baselines in windchill. It is nothing but a snapshot of the CAD at some point of time. You can create baselines when your model has hit a milestone (for eg., ready for release).

I knew many companies where when a design is ready to be  released in Windchill, we are asked to create baseline., in later days the Release Approval Workflow did it automatically.

Cheers

Hari

Top Tags