cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Is there any way to create the Representation for an EPMDocument by using your own file from disk

karan1904
1-Newbie

Is there any way to create the Representation for an EPMDocument by using your own file from disk

Hi,

Is there any way to create the Representation for an EPMDocument by using your own file from local disk in Windchill 9.1M060.

Eg: If we have a pdf file, can we create a representation for EPMDocument by using this pdf.

Please share any experiences on this.

Thanks,

Karan Narang

6 REPLIES 6

Hello

one can use open source PDF library like iText for merging your local PDF
and WC Generated PDF representation.

Publish activity in WC emits PUBLISH_SUCCESS or PUBLISH_FAILURE event upon
successful or failed publish activity.

You can listen for it and add your own pdf using iText.

HTH

Thank you and have a great time.

Best Regards

Swamy Senthil

Principal Solutions Architect, Swasen Inc

swamy.senthil@swasen.com(Email); 909 800 8423(M); 973 324 2729(W); 866
908 6561(F);

Hi Swamy,

What you're trying to do sounds like it might be possible by using the representation loader APIs and creating your own mini-process. OOTB there's the ability to load representations, with whatever you want, and attach them to WTParts (wt.part.LoadPart.createPartRepresentation). I used that representation loader, and tweaked it so that we could load representations to WTDocs - I'm sure you could easily do the same with EPMDocs or step through to EDRLoader/EDRHelper/etc and go from there.

The only thing I'm not sure of though, is if this loader will publish thepdf's so that they are viewables, although I believe that should work if you have the publisher for that type. My requirement didn't call for them to be published, so I didn't have time to step into that piece more.

In Reply to karan narang:

Hi Swamy,

Hi Karan.

You may want to read this post on PlanetPTC. You can add the viewable to a document and then Copy to the clipboard and then Paste to the CAD Doc.

http://communities.ptc.com/message/178279#178279

Regards, Jim

Hi Chris,

Could you pl share any doc on this this if you have. I am hoping this will solve my requirement.

Thanks,

Karan Narang

Look into wt.part.LoadPart.createPartRepresentation, wt.part.LoadPart.loadRepresentation, and com.ptc.wvs.server.ui.RepHelper.loadRepresentation. They are the basis for all the subsequent calls that the rep loader needs. You can look at createPartRepresentation to see what needs to be passed into loadRepresentation. I would think that if you just do the work of getting the values needed to call loadRepresentation it might just work without much tweaking. You should have it easier than I did because the loadRep wasn't setup for adding representations to WTDocs OOTB, that I could find.

The one PITA thing I ran into, was that the 'repDirectory' variable is where the file, that will be the eventual representation, is stored on the filesystem. That file is the ONLY THING that can be in that folder, unless you look into a way to have the commandprocessor take an actual file name instead of the directory - I wasn't given the time.

In Reply to karan narang:

Hi Chris,

Could you pl share any doc on this this if you have. I am hoping this will solve my requirement.

Thanks,

Karan Narang

Top Tags