cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Large data extraction (dump) from Windchill - for data cleansing to SAP BODS (data comparison)

KBB_doodle
3-Visitor

Large data extraction (dump) from Windchill - for data cleansing to SAP BODS (data comparison)

Has anyone experience with extracting data from Windchill (WT.Parts/BOM Structures) and Attributes?   What tools did you use that could make this process of extraction streamline and/or efficient?   My company is in the process of migrating from our legacy MRP to SAP ECC/ERP/MRP.    This data dump will be in the hundreds of thousands of Material Masters/WT.parts and related BOMs.  

Thanks in advance.

Kayle Brock

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kayle,
as Antonio said, through the query builder reports you can extract the data you need from Windchill.

As far as WTParts are concerned, you should not have big problems, while for BOMs it is more complicated because, without creating a Java method to be used within the report, you cannot extract a recursive BOM, but only at the first level.

This PTC support document lists a number of ready-to-use reports

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS328887

Marco

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:KBB_doodle)

I did this via SQL but query builder could work since it’s easy to get to excel. Expect to have to do this many times with current data so hone your steps. Compare BOMs single level only not has multilevel structure. Do have a consulting partner?

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks Avillanueva.   No, not yet - on consulting partner.   I have reached out to PTC for assistance.   Ideally,  a connector to our Windchill db would probably be even better - live feed.   This would require access and may be an uphill battle.

Can you clarify more about the situation you are in now?

You write that you have an ERP system but want to import data from Windchill into the new SAP ECC system.

Have you been using BOMs from Windchill to produce until now?

Normally exactly the opposite is done.

We have been using SAP ECC since 2001 and Windchill since 2006, so we have imported the material master records, bills of materials, and process plans (in successive steps years apart) from the ERP to the PLM

The two systems are now connected together, one-way from Windchill to SAP, via Tibco

https://support.ptc.com/help/wnc/r12.0.2.0/en/#page/Windchill_Help_Center%2FESITechOverview_2.html

Marco

Marco -  Thank you for your reply.

Today for CHVAC NA , we use SAP on the front-end (generating/creating sales orders, quotes, SAP VC and Level Ones Material Masters ONLY).  The Level Ones in SAP are pushed down to the legacy MRP along with Windchill EBOMs (WT.parts, BOM Structures) sent to the same legacy MRP.   We will sunset the legacy MPR and move migrate entirely to SAP.   So, the Master Data Team needs to reconcile this data with the legacy-MRP, SAP (L1s) and Windchill MM/BOMs (Level 2 and down).   

We have an extract of SAP L1s Material Masters and Legacy but not Windchill - what is required is to extract the Windchill WT.parts/BOMS and query all this data in another SAP BODS tool for discrepancies.  This will identify the cleansing work and then the engineering team can start the MM,BOM cleanup.

I understand that ESI is the interface between Windchill and SAP - we use Tibco.   What is desperately needed right now is a streamline, efficient tool to extract the Windchill data for upload into SAP BODS. 

I hope this help with your questions and I do appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Kayle

Kayle,
as Antonio said, through the query builder reports you can extract the data you need from Windchill.

As far as WTParts are concerned, you should not have big problems, while for BOMs it is more complicated because, without creating a Java method to be used within the report, you cannot extract a recursive BOM, but only at the first level.

This PTC support document lists a number of ready-to-use reports

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS328887

Marco
Top Tags