cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Las Vegas conference presentation - live vs. PowerPoint

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Las Vegas conference presentation - live vs. PowerPoint

I've been fortunate to be able to present several times in the past several years at the annual conference;others in my group at Alcon have been able to as well.

For the past few years, we've each been able to present using our production Windchill system live since the conference committee provided an internet connection at the podium and we could connect via VPN. We have gotten many, many comments that being able to observe things live has made the presentations far more valuable to the audience than they otherwise might have been. A few other presenters have also started doing this during sessions that I have been able to attend as well - with great benefit in my humble opinion.

I'm presenting again this year (Title: Using Windchill Reporting Tools Effectively). I had everything planned with the assumption that we could use the internet again and show all reports live. Yesterday I learned that the internet will not be available - so I'm sitting here reworking all as PowerPont.

So, I'm just asking all who will attend to please comment (if you like) on whether you feel it would be a worthwhile expenditure for the committee to provide a live internet connection for the presentations again this year. Not to be harsh, but it costs quite a lot to get everyone together for these conferences; simply reading a PowerPoint AT A CONFERENCE SPECIFICALLY ABOUT SOFTWARE TOOLS / SYSTEMS DESIGNED TO ALLOW OPTIMUM COLLABORATION does not seem to be entirely "with the times."

thank you

8 REPLIES 8

I agree that a live internet connection should be available to all conference rooms for presentations.
I have done a presentation at another conference and being able to demonstrate the actual flow of the system is much better than trying to do it with PowerPoint slides.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.
Dmi3U
15-Moonstone
(To:MikeLockwood)

I guess "Planet PTC" has communication problems!

Sorry, could not help myself...

Mike -

I'm both shocked and extremely annoyed at this news. Like you, I've presented in the past and plan to this year. And, like you, I had planned to utilize a VPN to demonstrate the John Deere environment. I had full expectation a wireless connection would be available - the core of the presentation is based upon its availability. My use of the wireless/VPN is to enhance the presentation by offering clearer communication and understanding via a live demonstration.

My co-presenter and I will have a difficult time giving our presentation exclusively in PowerPoint. Possible, yes... but surely not as impactful as it would be via a live demonstration.

To gain the most from this conference it is essential to include the wireless connection.

And Mike you are correct - when staging a large conference dealing with extremely complex software tools and systems, it is incumbent upon the conference organizers to provide a wireless connection to demonstrate those tools. This is a new group of conference organizers. I am copying the only general conference email I have (info@planetptclive.com<)">mailto:info@planetptclive.com>) and I would encourage anyone/everyone to make your voice heard. Let the conference organizers know your thoughts. Tell them directly whether an internet connection in the presentation rooms should be a requirement.

Paul J. Crane, PMP
Manager, Product Design Systems
John Deere Agriculture and Turf Division

To valued PlanetPTC Live presenters. We understand there is some confusion and concern about the lack of internet access at the upcoming PlanetPTC Live event. I can confirm that there WILL be internet readily available at the event and all presenters will have the ability to access the web to enhance and enrich their presentations. We appreciate your support of this event and please don’t hesitate to reach out to myself or Pino Soro, Sr. Director of Global Events, with any questions or concerns.

Thanks

Francois Lamy
PTC - VP Product Management
-

Thanks for clearing that up, Francois!

-Tom

Mike,

I'm presenting this year as well. I had planned to use our test system to
demonstrate my topic "Bomb-proof, Self-healing, Self-teaching workflows.

As it stand now, with no internet access I might have to ask if I can
change my topic. No internet access is unbelievable in 2011.

Needless to say my feeling is it is well worth it.

David Graham
CAx/PDM Administrator

Emhart Glass Manufacturing Inc.
Emhart Glass Research Center
123 Great Pond Drive | PO Box 220 | Windsor, CT 06095-0220 | USA
Telephone +1 (860) 298 7377 | Telefax +1 (860) 298 7397
Mobile +1 (203) 376-3144 |

In Reply to Mike Lockwood:

David T. Francis

Internet access will be provided. This was clarified later in the
thread.

Top Tags