cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

License evaluation tool

MH_10463676
7-Bedrock

License evaluation tool

Hi,

wrt Windchill 12.0.2.5. We use an Excel to analyse the license usage logfiles of Windchill / ThingWorx. Is there any tool / dashboard available that helps getting deeper insights more or less automatically? E.g. wrt inactive users (got a license, but didn't use it for a x period of time) etc.

Best regards

Martin

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @MH_10463676 

You can try Windchill performance advisor

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ysjsfuO1MdU?feature=oembed

In Orlando Users Event was very nice presentation about license reporting from Windchill 

Custom Windchill License Reports using Power BI presented by Adam Fagan

You can extract information about accounts and license usage from database to a MS PowerBI system and do what ever you need.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/

PetrH

I second the presentation from PTC/User... We used it to get some great active daily usage statistics.

Hi Martin,
PTC has no business providing tools that monitor license usage as you ask, and as all Windchill administrators would like, simply because it sells licenses.

Instead, those who administer the system want to monitor its use to avoid buying unnecessary licenses.

That said, Petr's suggestion to use Performance Advisor is a good start in principle, with the limitation, however, that users are not easily recognizable since the ID is anonymized.

To go into more detail, but this depends on the rules everyone can give themselves on usage, I have created a query builder report, which I have constantly open, with which I monitor and count monthly accesses.

I then report this data in an Excel file to see trends over the months and eventually contact those who rarely access to see if their license is still needed or if I can retrieve it to give to other users.

If the number of users to be monitored is very large (thousands or tens of thousands) this data should be loaded into a more manageable analysis tool than an Excel.

Marco
Top Tags