cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

License usage Analysis: the entitlement date ?

Pascal_Brunet
12-Amethyst

License usage Analysis: the entitlement date ?

Hello,

As Administrator, i was asked some KPI about the usage of Windchill Licenses and there are two of them i have difficulties to get for each type of license and during the 3 or 6 past months:

1) The percentage of licenses which are entitled but not used at all.

2) The percentage of licenses which are entitled but not used a lot.

I miss the entitlement date in order to have a reliable percentage.

The different License reports, even the Windchill Performance Advisor don't provide this date.

The objective is to optimize the licenses we allocate

What do you think about ?

Best regards,

Pascal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Pascal_Brunet 

The security audit report with logon and logoff events could also be interesting.

I can imagine that you can create some report with some own counting logic that can count a time spend in the system user by user.

PetrH

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Pascal_Brunet 

I think, that you can get information of usage of the licenses in some time period so it is enough resource for any report you may create.

You just prepare the input data, for example for each month one usage report and then collect all information together as a output.

You just need to define, what you really need to report and crate that report with the source data.

You need to think how to count the usage in the period, you need to define what does mean the "less usage" of licenses and so on.

It is real tough work but I can imagine that you can report what you need with some background information what you really need to report why the report is so important for you(management) and what information should be presented. 

This is just general questions why the report should be created. 

PetrH

Thank you for your quick reply @HelesicPetr .

Yes you right, i can export different sources of data and combine them in an Excel file for example.

The "less usage" is still to be defined. For example: only 2 usages in 3 months. For this less usage, is the "Active Daily" license (ADU) a good solution ?

In the meantime, i found this article which could be helpful: https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/cs363354 Windchill PDMLink: Is it possible to find (out date / time) when any user added to specific Group?

About the question Why? i would say that Windchill licenses are very expensive and we plan to add more and more users during the 2 next years.  So we have to analyze and understand the usage in order to find optimisations and reduce the cost.

Best regards,

Pascal

Hi @Pascal_Brunet 

The security audit report with logon and logoff events could also be interesting.

I can imagine that you can create some report with some own counting logic that can count a time spend in the system user by user.

PetrH

Yes you right.

The Audit report with the Event "Edit Group" which is enabled by default in 12.0 is helpful:

Pascal_Brunet_0-1678713762188.png

Pascal_Brunet_1-1678714014732.png

I will export data and combine them with other.

Thank you for your quick support.

Top Tags