cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Link WTPart to drawings without revising drawing?

Pieface
6-Contributor

Link WTPart to drawings without revising drawing?

We recently implemented phase 1 of Windchill PSM. During data migration WTParts were left without links to CAD Documents. Currently to create the links one must check out the WTPart, thus advancing the revsion of the WTPart, thus necessitating a drawing revision. Is there a way to circumvent the drawing revision? A thought was to manually change the LCS of the WTPart to "In Revision", but I am unaware of consequences that may occur. Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

It depends on the version of Windchill. In 10.1, you don't have to checkout the CADdocument to associate the WTPart.

Regards, Hugo.

kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:Pieface)

A Check Out, modification and Check In will iterate the WTPart. Your requirement to Revise may be a result of State and permissions on the WTPart at that State for a given Role. Administrator Role should be able to iterate if permissions have not modified from Out Of The Box.

You could manually set the State of the WTPart to "In Revision" (I'm guessing that's where you have permissions) but you probably (or probably should) need Administrator Account/Permissions to manually Set State. Both will have the same net effect, the Set State approach will be more clicks and potentially mean something gets left behind.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't use LoadPart to establish the links programmatically (does as if wc_admin). I didn't dig into it so can not confirm. Feel free to contact me privately if you need assistance.

Cheers,

Keir

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

Don, were you able to get a working solution for this?

OOTB, a revision/modification of the drawing should not be required to create the link between it and the Part--only the Part is marked as modified. Do you have some steps in place that require the modification of the drawing?

Pieface
6-Contributor
(To:LoriSood)

We do not have a solution but certainly are in need of one. We are writing a Change Notice because to link objects to the WTPart we must check out the WTPart. Perhaps it is just a recently migrated WTPart with no link to a CAD Document/Drawing. We cannot check out the WTPart unless the WTPart exists on a Change Notice. If a drawing is associated with the part, we must revise the drawing to show the part revision advanced. We are adding a note to the description column of the CN to advise Procurement and others the revision is a requirement of Windchill and nothing actually changed. I am an End User and the process above is currently stated as required by our Admin. There is a lot of work being required by this process. There must be a better solution.

Pieface
6-Contributor

I think I understand why we are required to check out WTParts. Using a previous PDM and transferring to PDMLink we were never concerned with CAD Document (Parts/Asm's) revisions. Our CAD Document revisions do not match true true revisions. Apparently the solution is to use the WTParts as the true revision documentation thus necessitating a CN, WTPart revision and a drawing revision. Note the WTPart revision does not match the CAD Part revision.

9871070 Revisions.JPG

Top Tags