cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Linked Excel files in Windchill

AdamDorsch
6-Contributor

Linked Excel files in Windchill

Is it possible to have linked Excel files in Windchill. So far I have been unable to find a way to make it work.

We have a summary file that links to other files that technicians fill their data in on. Right now we have these on a network drive but I would like to move them into Windchill.

Thanks

Adam

7 REPLIES 7
AdamDorsch
6-Contributor
(To:AdamDorsch)

Anyone able to help me on this?

cc-2
6-Contributor

Hi Adam

which version of Windchill ?

I supposed you mean linking the IBA parameters to some excel cells. Which version of Office are you using

We are on 9.1M050 and used MS Office 2003 in the past and more recently 2007

We link certain soft type parameters of the document subtype to cells in the excel file.

In 2007 it is very easy. You should have with the right mouse button, An additional command called Windchill or Insert Windchill Parameter something like this.

Hope this helps

AdamDorsch
6-Contributor

I am not looking to insert Windchill parameters into these documents. What I have are 2 excel doc. Doc 1 is used by the lab techs and they enter all of the raw data into numerous tabs. Doc 2 is a summary file which is linked to the various cells in doc 1.

Adam

Hi Adam,

As I understand, specific cells in one Excel is pointing to specific cells in the other Excel. You do this by adding hyperlinks in the first Excel, referring to the corresponding cells in the other Excel. These hyperlinks are based on the physical location of the Excels, absolute or relative. Right?

As far as I know, you can't do this kind of things with documents in Windchill, since you have no control over the physical name and location of your files. Those files disappaer in the vault, and are managed by Windchill.

Generally speaking, I don't think it's a good practice anyway, since it's so difficult to manage those hyperlinks inside documents afterwards. I see this practice here as well, and I got the same question as you did. What can be done with a little customization, is to provide a link (that can be used inside a document as an hyperlink) to point to another document in Windchill by its document number. Since this number is not supposed to change ever, this link is stable and robust over time.

Regards, Hugo.

<< ProE WF5 M170 - PDMLink 9.1 M060>>

AdamDorsch
6-Contributor

Thanks for the feedback.

cc-2
6-Contributor

Hi

now I understand better your issue.

We experienced this once. A user had made a real net of xls file and once Windchill got its code into the xls file, his net did not work.

PTC never helped solving the issue but as it only impacted one user. This was not really an issue. I am talking about when we were with Office 2003 and PDMLink 9.0. So I see that there is no improvement.

The thing is, if you upload in Windchill the netted files, how do you ensure that the users download them all before trying to change the file. How do you ensure that only the files which are changed are checked out ?

Another option could be to have the files in a zip file, so you only need to manage one file in Windchill and also this is not impacting the xls file.

Best regards

In Reply to Adam Dorsch:

I am not looking to insert Windchill parameters into these documents. What I have are 2 excel doc. Doc 1 is used by the lab techs and they enter all of the raw data into numerous tabs. Doc 2 is a summary file which is linked to the various cells in doc 1.

Adam

cc-2
6-Contributor

Right

what I was talking about was a bit difference. THe value of a cell came directly from another excel file.

Here you talk about a simple hyperlink to open another file ? In this case I would do as Hugo suggested.

This leads to other type of topic. The understanding of the meaning of Document when working in a PDM environment.

The file is only a content, sometimes you do not even need a file. The document provided enough information (name, attributes etc....)

I think too many people still think of a PDM document as a Windows document and assume it is the same while it is not.

Anyway.... have a good day and good luck with your guys

Top Tags