cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Linking Product Attribute to CAD Model Parameter

Joey_BMH
6-Contributor

Linking Product Attribute to CAD Model Parameter

Hi,

I would like to know how to link or use a product specific attribute (i.e. Name attribute) to a CAD Document. The ultimate goal would be to have a parameter in a Part or Assembly that is locked and linked to the Name attribute of the product it is part of.

Thank you,

Joey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
7 REPLIES 7
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Joey_BMH)

"PTC_COMMON_NAME" in Creo already maps to the Windchill "Name" attribute.  Even though "PTC_COMMON_NAME" doesn't show up in the list of Creo parameters, it's still there, locked, and controlled by Windchill, and can be used in relations and displayed on drawings.

Joey_BMH
6-Contributor
(To:TomU)

Hi, thanks for the answer. I meant the name of the Product an assembly/part is in, not the name of the assembly/part itself, unless I misunderstood your answer.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

You might be able to do this with alias attributes but someone else would need to chime in here since I haven't personally attempted this.

Joey_BMH
6-Contributor

Thanks, I'll look into this for now.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

This is along the lines of what I was thinking:  https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS141697

But according to this product idea, it sounds like it won't work for CAD documents:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Windchill-Ideas/Windchill-alias-attributes-should-be-able-to-map-with-CREO/idi-p/551219

Joey_BMH
6-Contributor

Thanks for all the links, I finally got time to read them. I was able to create the alias parameter but like you said it doesn't seem possible to map this attribute with a Creo part parameter unless you customize the download service which looks like it would work but the method to customize exceeds my computer skills. I will try to find help to set this up. 

Top Tags