cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

List Access

ErikZabokrtsky
8-Gravel

List Access

I was wondering if there is a permission that I can give users so they can see the part numbers in a Windchill Product, but not be able to open them?

We have Government documents that can't be accessible to all employees, so we have them in a separate Product. However this creates a bit of an issue when a person outside of the product searches for a part number, they get no return. So they think possibly it doesn't exist and try to use the part number. Then when they go to Check-In, it obviously says the number is not unique.

So I want it to still show up in searches, but they don't have read or write access to it. In Windows permissions its called LIST, didn't know if that existed in Windchill or not.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The Windchill access control policies that apply are only READ, DOWNLOAD.

You state "Part Number" below and "open." 

If you are referring to WTParts, then there is no "opening" that applies and no download.

If you are referring to CAD Documents (both drawing and 3D model), then download and open can only be done thru a workspace - you have controls over who can go down this path.

Separately, you can control who can view published CAD Docs using Creo View, and whether they can further use Creo View markup.

Problem statement requires more precision in order to really answer.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

The Windchill access control policies that apply are only READ, DOWNLOAD.

You state "Part Number" below and "open." 

If you are referring to WTParts, then there is no "opening" that applies and no download.

If you are referring to CAD Documents (both drawing and 3D model), then download and open can only be done thru a workspace - you have controls over who can go down this path.

Separately, you can control who can view published CAD Docs using Creo View, and whether they can further use Creo View markup.

Problem statement requires more precision in order to really answer.

I know this was marked as having a solution but I actually have a related use case and "Read" and definitely "Download" do not really address the scenario.

A "List" access type would allow a user to see the File Name (for CAD), Name, and Number of an object, and perhaps other key attributes such as Revision and State, but not see any other attributes of the object and definitely not access attachments or representations.  Basically, they are allowed to see that such content exists so they know not to create a duplicate as in Erik's scenario but also so they don't spin their wheels thinking something is broken (the use case I most often face with my users).

A List access type would allow companies to decide to keep content absolutely hidden (understandably sometimes even confirmation of the existence of something can be a breach of security) or allow some set of users to know something exists and take appropriate action.  Addition of this type would allow this control within the normal Windchill access framework.

Next stop is to see if something like this was ever submitted as a product idea.

You can restrict who can see what documents through ACLs.

You may also restrict documents with Security Labels.

Being able to read all entity headers in the DB and being able to open the documents (CAD files or other documents) can be controlled by the software.

As Mike said, a better definition of what you are trying to accomplish, plus maybe an example, would help others give you a better answer.

MK_Lin
5-Regular Member
(To:ErikZabokrtsky)

Is there 2 kinds of objects: Government Document and Part or just only 1 object: Government Document? If just only 1, then in OOTB function, there is no way to meet you requirement since Government Document need to be secured include all attributes.

Maybe you can use another object to link to Government Document. This new object comes from Goverment Document with some open information. And this object is opened to all general user. So user can access this object to get some required information even he has no access of Government Document.

For further discussion, more detail is better like part number is a attribute of Government Document or user want to create a new Part?

SamuelLin
5-Regular Member

Do you attach the attechment into part object?

Or the part is related to the documents, and you don't want user to download the related documents.

Or you don't want user can see the part detail information (attributes)?

I am not very clear about your problems. You need to give more detail information.

Thank you all for your help. Been a long time since we've added a Product and I've had to deal with Roles and permissions. 

We have CUI Parts, Drawings, and Assemblies that I wanted only certain people to be able to view any part of the information, besides the name/number and that its in the CUI Product. You all pointed me in the right direction. Sorry for being vague and not answering back promptly! Thanks!

MK_Lin
5-Regular Member

If Part data is also secured, then it is impossible to see only number and name without other information. "Profile" maybe can do this but there is a lot of limitation to use. Maybe you can try using a report (you can call it any name like reuse center ....) which can bypass permission to search part for user to check. And you can decide what information you want to provide to user...

Top Tags