cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Looking for remote optimization & deployment options for Creo and WindChill

ptc-4896576
1-Newbie

Looking for remote optimization & deployment options for Creo and WindChill

Does anyone have or know of good options for remote deployment of engineers using Creo and WindChill that tolerates lower bandwidth and some latency? I have tried Riverbeds for the network side, remote file vaults, HP Remote Graphics Software, and am now reviewing Citrix XenDesktop with HDX Pro 3D. Does anyone have experience with the Citrix tool set w/heavy 3D or other options? Point me to the right discussion group, I didn't find a close match.

Thanks

Brian

On further investigation I believe I have found a company in Denmark using PTC Wildfire 5 with Citrix HDX 3D Pro and HP RGS on HP ProLiant WS460c Workstation Blades but have been unable to contact them directly as of this time. It also apprears they are validating the same setup Citrix/HP RGS with Creo 2.0. Does anyone have knowledge of this or similar experience to understand the efficacy and issues?

Brian

1 REPLY 1
egifford
4-Participant
(To:ptc-4896576)

Brian,

How far did you get with your investigation into this? We're investigating thin clients and zero clients for a couple of scenarios. We're considering solutions from Citrix, VMWare and Microsoft to achieve this.

1) CAD users who have a full PC workstation here, but may periodically work from home. Idea being to give them a client to use at home that would connect through a VPN and remote desktop to their workstation here. The heavy lifting would still be done by their CAD class PC in the office. They could go home and pick up where they left off or work from home on a periodic basis with minimal hardware investment in the data center. Advantage to us is we're in control of what they are connecting with - who knows what is on their home PC and dictating they must have certain protection software on their home PC gets to be a sticky issue. Actual data all stays here, too.

2) Concept of actually replacing the full-blown CAD workstation for users who are occasionally in the software or for the college interns that come and go on a regular basis. Provide a them with a thin client connecting to appropriate hardware in the data center. Not sure cost would actually come down, but gains could be achieved in deployment time and flexibility.

Erik

Top Tags