cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Maintaining Windchill License Group Members - What License Management tool do you use?

Prabhu
7-Bedrock

Maintaining Windchill License Group Members - What License Management tool do you use?

Hi,

I guess this is one of the pain points we all share:  To efficiently maintain the Windchill License Group membership as per the users' actual usage of the application.

Consider below scenarios:

1.  User gains access 1st time to Windchill application as CAD Designer.  User is assigned with PDMLink Module License / Author license.

User actually performs only view only actions.

2.  User gains access 1st time to Windchill application as CAD Designer.  User is assigned with PDMLink Module License / Author license.

User actually performs only Review / Approve tasks.

and so on..

In these cases, we need to get the actual usage details of each user, evaluate the current license allocation and do needed changes to the user's license membership:  Remove from certain licenses and add to certain licenses.

I currently pull out details on actual usage through database queries.  Usage could be:

Only login (~Navigate View)

Create / Edit EPMDocuments (~PDMLink Module or Author)

Create / Edit WTParts (~PDMLink Module)

Create / Edit WTDocuments (~Navigate Contributor)

Perform workflow tasks (~Navigate Contributor)

and so on

Then assess each user and move the user to different license groups accordingly.

This involves extracting data from database, process / transform the data and then arrive at conclusions.  For me, this is extensively laborious and manual task.

How do you do this task efficiently?  What tools do you use for this purpose?

Do we have any tool from PTC which can assist us?

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Prabhu.

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags