cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Managing Creo support files from Windchill 10.x

gspencer
4-Participant

Managing Creo support files from Windchill 10.x

We are trying to consolidate out Creo support files into Windchill...

So, since I can't "import" them, I figure I would just 'add" them in as new documents. I'm not sure how successful that was as I used the "general" DocType when creating.

MY QUESTIONs - has anybody already done this? If so, what 'type" did you use when creating the wtdocs? Is there another way?

Any comments would be most appreciated.

gary

6 REPLIES 6

A couple of things to take note of here. There is a config.pro to add additional files to the import in the Creo WGM. Listed below are the ones we have added.

allow_import_file_extension – bnd, tbl, ttf, sym, scl, dtl, pro, map, cfg, dat, win, pnt, dmt, mnu, psm
!!!Allow additional files with extensions to be shown in the
!!!import dialog

Be careful here if you are using Windchill just as the storage of files or expecting Creo to use these on startup as well. There are a few that wont act like expected. Things that need to load on startup can be and issue. Tree.cfg, syscol.scl are a couple that come to mind. This is due to them noth being available until after you are connected to Windchill which is the last thing to happen.

Andy
gspencer
4-Participant
(To:gspencer)

Folks,

Just to clarify my intent - I am looking to manage as many of the Creo support files from WC. What I mean by this is, for instance, the config setting for symbols (.sym) would point to the files in WC, rather than some network share.

Example:pro_symbol_dir wtpub://ADMS_PROD/Libraries/CAD Standards/Security Technologies\SYMBOLS

From the folks who have contacted me (thanks by the way!), I know that not all extension will work that way. .cfg & .scl are just a couple mentioned as these files need to be vailable to Creo at launch, and since the WC login happens after launch, that will be an issue.

Basically, I am just going to have to test every extension/setting to see what works and what doesn't. I will post back to this my summary of findings...unless someone already has this which will save me lots of time??? 🙂

Love this forum!!

gary

Gary, Here are the ones I know about:

Works in Windchill: (As of Wildfire 5.0 - Creo Elements Pro 5)
drawing_setup_file
global_appearance_file
pro_dtl_setup_dir
pro_format_dir
pro_group_dir
pro_library_dir
pro_material_dir
pro_palette_dir
pro_sheet_met_dir
pro_symbol_dir
sketcher_palette_path
start_model_dir
symbol_instance_palette_file
template_mfgcast
template_mfgmold
template_designasm
template_solidpart
template_sheetmetalpart

Does NOT work in Windchill:
pen_table_file
pro_crosshatch_dir
pro_note_dir
pro_plot_config_dir
system_iges_header_file

-marc

JariElomaa
13-Aquamarine
(To:mdebower)

Hello @mdebower,

I know this is an old thread, but it just became relevant for me.

I'm trying to use global.dmt from a Windchill Library and I have set the global_appearance_file option to point to the correct location, but it still does not seem to work.

We have material .mtl files in the same Windchill Library and they are using appearances, which are present in the global.dmt. When I assign a material, the appearance does not change.

If the same global.dmt is copied to C:\local\PTC\Creo 3.0\M140\Common Files\graphic-library\appearances\ then it does work just as expected.

@mdebower, you have global_appearance_file in your list of "Works in Windchill", but I cannot get it to work with Creo 3 M140 and Windchill 10.2 M030 CPS24.

Do you have any ideas, what am I missing here?

I just checked and it still seems to be working here.   We are now on Creo 3.0 and Windchill 11.0

The config option as set in our config.sup reads:

global_appearance_file wtpub://YOURWCSERVERNAME/Libraries/CAD Library/Materials Library/global.dmt

JariElomaa
13-Aquamarine
(To:mdebower)

Thank you @mdebower!

You made me see the error I had. The option was set only to the folder and not up to the global.dmt file. 

I added global.dmt at the end of the path and now it works. Smiley Embarassed

Thanks for the quick reply. 

Top Tags