cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Managing MathCAD in Windchill

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II

Managing MathCAD in Windchill

I just started playing with WWGM and MathCAD. I am seeing if this can help us with our conversion to Prime. First question is why PTC decided to do this in the WWGM at all? Why not follow Creo with embedded browser? Second is more troubling and tech support did not have a good answer. I have thousands of files. The import to workspace does not appear to show MathCAD files.

avillanueva_0-1639685536719.png

I've done this with Solidworks data and it worked great. Am I missing something? The answer I got back was that it doesn't support MathCAD and I would need to use a 3rd party loader or write my own.  This cannot be true can it? Anyone have experience on this before? 

3 REPLIES 3
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:avillanueva)

Just to be clear, you're saying the 'Import to Workspace' function doesn't allow import, but you can still manually open the files one at a time and save them to the workspace, right?  I wonder if you could do something in AutoIt to automate the process of pressing the 'Open' button and then pasting in the next file name.

What happens if you import them via the Creo workgroup manager after adding the Matchcad file extensions to the config.pro option "allow_import_file_extension"?  Do these Creo imported (and then checked in) objects still correctly open in Mathcad from the Windchill Workgroup Manager?  Normally files checked in this way will all be treated as Creo objects, and this may break the ability of Mathcad to access them correctly from it's own workgroup manager.  If it does work, I would definitely test it thoroughly before putting into production.  Maybe even dig into the database a bit and compare the records created with each method. (docType, etc.)  You would hate to import a bunch of files this way and then have it burn you later.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:TomU)

Based on the content of this KB article, I'm guessing option 2 above probably won't work.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS47496

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomU)

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS48213?language=en&posno=1&q=allow_import_file_extension&source=search

I will give this a try. You are right that the object might not be created correctly since the MathCAD is created as a dynamic document. I get the sense that I am missing something very simple here but the lack of postings, documentation, knowledge base articles is concerning. I cannot be the only person who has or is trying this. Our history with MathCAD is 45,000 files long. I expect much of this to be copies and garbage but these were not under any control at all (just folders). I would think that the data contained within is important validate designs and check calculations. Prime should work natively without workspaces even but at least should have embedded browser. 

Top Tags