cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Mapping unit of measure from Creo to Windchill Default Unit attribute

ScottGivens
6-Contributor

Mapping unit of measure from Creo to Windchill Default Unit attribute

Version: Windchill 12.1

Use Case: Our Creo models have a parameter called UNIT_OF_MEASURE. This describes the quantity unit for the model in an assembly. Typical values would be Each, Gallon, Inch, Foot, etc. It’s synonymous with Windchill’s WTPart attribute Default Unit. The CAD designer sets the Creo parameter UNIT_OF_MEASURE in the model, and this is displayed in a repeat region table/parts list in a Creo drawing. Our CM / Doc Control group then looks at the Creo drawing, then transposes those UNIT_OF_MEASURE values to the Default Unit attribute for the related WTPart. This is a manual process, and 2x the work (CAD designer sets the value in Creo, CM person sets the value on the WTPart). I’d like to automate this process, so that when the Creo model is checked into Windchill, the value of UNIT_OF_MEASURE (or something like it) is carried over to Default Unit for the related WTPart. Using Creo 9.0.5.0

Description:

I thought attribute mapping was the solution, and maybe it still is, but I keep running into road blocks. Article CS205369 says that it’s not possible:

ScottGivens_0-1725498837428.png

The workaround in that article involves component parameters, not default model parameters from a model template, so that means the component parameter would have to be created each time...more work.

Article CS264544 indicates that the default value for Unit for EPMDocuments is always each, and cannot be changed, thus making the attribute useless (IMO).

This seems like such a basic functionality and tenant of attribute mapping, or even just basic PDM functionality, that I want to ensure I’m not missing something.

I've opened a support ticket, but the assigned resource isn't understanding the root of the issue.

Has anyone else run into this?  Am I looking at this with the wrong lens?  Is there a different approach that I'm missing?  Am I using Creo/Windchill incorrectly?  Is there a better way to accomplish this?

If the answer is still no, that's fine.  At least then I can definitively tell our team that "yes, I researched the hell out of this, and I know it sounds crazy, but yes, when you check a Creo model into Windchill, it will automate the creation of the related WTPart and all these other attributes, but yes, we still have to manually set Default Unit."

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @ScottGivens,

Thank you for your question. 

Your post appears well documented but has not yet received any response. I am replying to raise awareness. Hopefully, another community member will be able to help.

Regards,

Vivek N
Community Moderation Team.

Here's an image that might help clarify what I'm looking for.

How can I get the value of a Creo parameter to populate the WTPart attribute Default Unit?

ScottGivens_0-1726090254278.png

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:ScottGivens)

Are you specifically talking about bulk items or other regular CAD models. I have followed this topic and too am surprised that there is not a solution. 

Creo Parametric Bulk Items and Windchill says there is no plans to fix it. Taking a look at how CAD assemblies in Creo are build, it makes sense that 99.9% of the time, each is how you want it. The BOM will reflect that. Carrying the default UOM in every CAD model appears overkill unless we are talking about bulk items or cable assemblies. The CS article you mentioned seems like it does not really solve the problem but just adds alternate data which is confusing. 

Our users either add those non-each components manually to the Design BOM or create a fake model but in either case, its a modification on the BOM in Windchill to flip from each. I would not say that its 2x the work when looking at the overall BOM but rather a small percentage. 

Thanks for that link @avillanueva. There is at least some hope that PTC is now considering it.  In the Community Idea referenced in that post, it went from not being prioritized in Dec 2022, to it now being "part of an active area of the product development and is under consideration for a future release" in May of 2024.

Announcements

Top Tags