cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Mass Data move

jlittle
6-Contributor

Mass Data move

I have used many forms of the XML load files in Windchill to accomplish mass data import, bom creation, etc., but am wondering if there is similar functionality to move objects from one Product to another. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

James Little

6 REPLIES 6

I have not found a way to do this with the out of box wtloaders, but I have done some testing using info-engine. You'd first call the Checkout-Objects webject, then Update-Objects

<ie:webject name="Update-Objects" type="OBJ">
<ie:param name="INSTANCE"data="$(properties[0]com.infoengine.taskProcessor[0])"/">
<ie:param name="OBJECT_REF" data="$(checkedout[0]obid[0])"/">
<ie:param name="MODIFICATION" data="ADD"/">
<ie:param name="FIELD" data="container.id=wt.pdmlink.PDMLinkProduct:6339"/">
</ie:webject>

where 6339is the product id, you can get from the details page url of the product.

Then you'd have to call the Check-in Objects webject.

This doesn't change the folder location, that's another call.

Regards,

Glen Herman
Sr Application Developer
Engineering And Technology
Trane Residential Systems
6200 Troup Hwy
Tyler, Texas, 75701

WesTucker
4-Participant
(To:jlittle)

I need to move a large number of documents and parts from a library to
various products. I've used windchill wt.load.LoadFromFile to create
parts and docs into particular contexts, but don't see a way to move an
item between them.

I found one exploder forum entry that discussed the issue.... with an
alternative.

Any other suggestions? We are on 9.1 M020 Windchill with PDMLink and
ProjectLink.

Thanks!

-=wes

I am looking for a way to move a bulk of PDMLink objects between products as well. We are splitting parts out from an existing product into a new product context, so i have a .csv file with a long list of objects that need to be in the new product context, based on extracted ERP data. Any ideas on the best way to do this?

John Frankovich

The GSI Group LLC

In Reply to Wes Tucker:

I need to move a large number of documents and parts from a library to
various products. I've used windchill wt.load.LoadFromFile to create
parts and docs into particular contexts, but don't see a way to move an
item between them.

I found one exploder forum entry that discussed the issue.... with an
alternative.

Any other suggestions? We are on 9.1 M020 Windchill with PDMLink and
ProjectLink.

Thanks!

-=wes

Be very careful moving objects from one context to another. If you have specific OIRS with different lifecycles including their respective states, the object will still have a running process that might not be insync with the OIR.

You have to create tools to reset the object to the lifecycle of the context OIRaccording to the state of the object. We had help from Najanaja.com to create tools to reset the object's lifecycle to it's initial state if the object was not in released or obsolete.

If this is not the case, you can perform search within the context and on the results, there is a move icon so that you can move multiple into another context. You cannot duplicate. You can also create links to the single source to another context/container.

I just want to confirm,

Big differences in "mass data move" and "mass migration". If you are doing migrations from one windchill to another, you better make sure your organizations and libraries, product, projects are the same. You can use the export import function.

If you are doing mass migration from hard drives to a windchill server, that involes the loaders. Some of the loaders needs tweaking.

Patrick,

Thanks. In a more complex environment that would have been my primary concern, but right now in this environment the OIRs are all the same for the existing products and the object types are very limited. (This movement/rearrangement of data is really a precursor to populating the system with non-CAD data.)

To your follow up email, this is just a movement of data within the product contexts of a single WC instance - no migration. The real trick here is that the context destinations for all of this data is driven by an attribute from an external source.

John
Top Tags