cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Meaning of seeds and targets for PromotionNotice

lmouchard
10-Marble

Meaning of seeds and targets for PromotionNotice

The MaturityServices provides methods to handle targets and seeds. Can someone explain the difference between both targets and seeds ?

In the Windchill GUI, I can only Promotion Objects are linked.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Seeds are the items you initially select, say in Folders or Search, to create a new Promotion Request from.  They are the starting data that is in the Promotion Request before any collection is applied

Target are they the items selected to be Promoted (with an appropriate state).  The Promotion Request does not require one to change the state of all of the data - some can be for reference.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hi ,

If I understand Correctly:

Target  = State

Seed = Version Series

Two things you need to concentrate in Fundamentals of Windchill here:

1. Lifecycle template : Basic LC template has States, Transitions and Version

**************" attached Screenshot"******************

2. Version Series

For StateBasedSeries scenario, you may want to create "SEED"

EnumCustomize

Start the enumCustomize utility from a Windchill shell with following command
enumCustomize

Navigate to wt > series > wt.series.SeriesRangeSelectorRB

Ensure that the Keys added, match the names of the seeds example (PROTOTYPE_VER, RELEASED_VER)  defined in StateBasedSeries.xml

Save and choose to rebuild the source

Rebuild Jars

Restart Server after clearing cache.

Cheers

Rahul

Hi Rahuls,

Thanks for your answer, but it is not correct. "Promotion Targets" are the objects (WTPart for example) that are handled by a Promotion notice.

Regards

Loïc

Yes Correct

Promotion Targets = WTPart/WTDocument/EPMDocument

Target State = Destination LC State

SEED = Version Scheme

I get the "same" (for me the same, I could not find any difference) objects returned from both calls:

QueryResult promotionSeeds = MaturityHelper.service.getPromotionSeeds((wt.maturity.PromotionNotice) pn);

QueryResult promotionTargets = MaturityHelper.service.getPromotionTargets((wt.maturity.PromotionNotice) pn);

Can you explain what is your requirement and what you want to achieve ?

• Use MaturityHelper.service.getPromotionTargets(PromotionNotice pn, false) to retrieved the PromotionTarget links
  • Retrieve the original state from the link with PromotionTarget::getCreateState()

For example  "How to route workflow depending on Object type"

try
{
    wt.fc.QueryResult qr = wt.maturity.MaturityHelper.service.getPromotionTargets((wt.maturity.PromotionNotice)primaryBusinessObject);
    while(qr.hasMoreElements())
    {
        wt.fc.Persistable pers = (wt.fc.Persistable) qr.nextElement();
        if (pers.getClass().getName().equalsIgnoreCase("wt.doc.WTDocument"))
        {
            //System.out.println(" ******** Wow, it is a WTDocument  ******** ");
            result = "route1";
        }
        else if (pers.getClass().getName().equalsIgnoreCase("wt.part.WTPart"))
        {
            //System.out.println(" ******** Hmm, it is a WTPart ******** ");
            result = "route2";
        }  
        else
        {
            //System.out.println(" ******** It is neither WTDocument nor WTPart ******** ");
            //System.out.println(" ******** Routing to default Document path  ******** ");
            result = "route1";
        }
    }
}
catch (Exception e) {
}

Example: "How to use Business Rules to validate objects on a Promotion Notice in Windchill PDMLink"

• Implement the getTargetObjects() method in a custom delegate class
  • The following API can be used to retrieve the target objects
wt.maturity.MaturityHelper.service.getPromotionSeeds(PromotionNotice pn);

Seeds are the items you initially select, say in Folders or Search, to create a new Promotion Request from.  They are the starting data that is in the Promotion Request before any collection is applied

Target are they the items selected to be Promoted (with an appropriate state).  The Promotion Request does not require one to change the state of all of the data - some can be for reference.

Thanks, I get it now!

I usually select directly the objects for a promotion request, that's why I get them as seeds and targets.

Bonus question (I'm curious). Can we access the "seed" objects in the Windchill UI, or it is only an information that we get per code?

Top Tags