cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Merge / Inheritance - Dummy assembly deleted, results in Ghost objects

SB
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Merge / Inheritance - Dummy assembly deleted, results in Ghost objects

I recieved some files.from som extern consultant engineers (machined and casted parts) which has been created via merge inheritance.

Then I wanted to import to my workspace and check-in. But I now got an assembly ghost object, because they didn't send me the assembly dummy, which creates the the realtion between the casted and the machend part.

I ask them to send me the missing file, but they sad that they had deleted it, because they parts worked without it.

I know that I can get rid of the ghost by making a new assembly and call it the same name, and then overwrite the ghost. Then I will also be able to check-in.

But my question is:

Can the machined and the casted part work together and keep relations to each other when editing, when you have deleted the dummy assembly? Will the ghost-assembly come up again in the future if some other people want to modify the parts?

Another problem is that Windchill don't automaticly collect the dummy-assembly and the casted part, if you for for example whant to make changes to the machined part. When you work in a big organisation, not every PRO/E user knows about inheritance parts, and they migh not be aware that you need both to add all the files to your workspace and refresh the machined parts after making changes to he casted part.

I have experienced this:

A Pro/E user created inheritance parts the correct way. He didn't delete the assembly file or anything, and he did't have problems to check-in.

Then anoher pro/E user wanted to do some changes to the casted part. He had both the machined and the casted part in his workspace. But he forgot to add the dummy assembly to the workspace. Then he made changes to the casted part and regenerated the machined part succesfully. But then came the problem in the workspace: An assembly ghost object (the dummy assembly).

We could of course fix the problem by adding the dummy assembly to the workspace, because it was already in windchill. But is a bit anoying if this problem will appear all the time. Can this problem be fixed?

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags