cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Modifying Windchill online help

tstacy
1-Newbie

Modifying Windchill online help

Hi,

I'm working with Windchill 9.1 M060. We added an additional step in the New Change Request wizard and would like to update the online help for Windchill to include our new step. I was able to modify the main "Creating a Change Request" to include the definition of our new step. I created a new html file that started with a copy of the html for Set Attributes. I followed the instructions in the Windchill System Administrator's Guide Appendix D about modifying an existing topic. This allowed my changes to the main html to be visible. However, there are no instructions for adding a new file and/or topic to the online help.

Does anyone know how I can add to the online help for additional topics?

3 REPLIES 3

Maybe not the exact answer you are looking for because you are on 9.1 but for 10.x it's in the online help here: http://www.ptc.com/cs/help/windchill_hc/wc100_hc/index.jspx?id=WCCG_UICust_CustOnlineHelp_AddTOC&action=show

Sorry I have not tested if the new utiltity introduced will work for the 9.1 help system.

Alternatively it sounds like you already managed to create the content you want and link to it from by modifying an existing topic then you only need to place the new page somewhere on the web where people can browse to it. One slightly hack-ish option might just be to put the new page somewhere under <windchill_home>/codebase/netmarkets where it will get served up at http://<yourserver>/Windchill/netmarkets if memory serves me right. This way you don't have to muck around with the WHC utility mentioned in the 10.x online help.

This worked in that it created my new topic at the bottom of the TOC at the main level.

I found a note in the document that I can't embed my new help document within a sublevel of the TOC. For example, we added a step to the wizard for Creating a Change Request. I'd like my help text to show up within the Creating a Change Request TOC entries, however the utility doesn't let me do this. Thanks for the help.

jzupfer
1-Newbie
(To:tstacy)

We did not test the AddTopics utility with Windchill 9.1, but I believe it will work, as the Help Center infrastructure is the same.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Jane

Jane Zupfer
VP, Enterprise Products Publications
T 763.957.8299 E -

PTC.com

Top Tags