cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Moving the vaults to a new drive

PardeepS
1-Newbie

Moving the vaults to a new drive

Hello everyone

I have to move the vaults from one drive to the other one on the same server.

The procedure I am looking to follow is this:-

Create the folders on the new drive

Copy the vault content on to the respective folders

Mount the vaults using new paths.

Validate the mount.

Please suggest if it is correct or else kindly correct me.

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15

Hi Pardeep,

Please go ahead. This is the Right method to move the vault content.

Make sure to validate the mount once you have moved the vault to new location.

Thanks

~Harshal

MatthewKnight
4-Participant
(To:Harshal)

Could he run into any queue problems?

Thanks for the reply Mat

What kind of Queue issues do you think can actually happen because of this.

Probably revaultingQueue. But why should there be a problem. I am not able to connect the two dots.

What do you think?

I don't know. It seems pretty safe if you're doing this all from the same machine and Windchill is off. But yeah, the revaulting queue is what I had in mind. I ran into a problem during a rehost where I lost a morning's worth of attachments and the only conclusion I could think of was that I didn't let the queue run down.

So may be we can suspend all the revaulting schedules and complete all the revaulting queues?

and another thing is should I copy the root folder or create a new one and copy everything inside it.

Should it make any difference?

I'm not sure if best practice is to suspend the queues or to let them complete.

I would copy the folder. Try to use a tool that keeps the same timestamps on the files, though I'm not sure if that matters here.

Matt

Should I shut down the server before copying the folders?

I mean I should not be copying on a working day so to speak?/?

thanks

Harshal said you had the right plan, so I would go with that. I do think shutting WC down is the right idea.

Do you have a test box? Try the "Update vaults to use new drives, shut down WC, and move the content manually" approach first.

If that fails, this *may* work:

Leave the old vaults (temporarily)

Create new vaults, mapped to new drive

Change your vaulting rules to use new vaults

Revault everything. (This should move the content to the new vault?)

That way, you could leave WC running.

This probably sounds like common sense, but after your move, open some content holders that you know to be vaulted and make sure you can download the attachments and that they are valid.

You are correct.

I would suggest you to copy all the existing Read-Only folders and perform the way you have mentioned.

If the folder type is not read-only make it read-only and do the same.

This is to set a base-line for the existing folders.Create new folder which are not read-only ,validate & enable them.

This helps you to manage the vaults,where you will be aware from where the new data is dumped into.

You are correct.

I would suggest you to copy all the existing Read-Only folders and perform the way you have mentioned.

If the folder type is not read-only make it read-only and do the same.

This is to set a base-line for the existing folders.Create new folder which are not read-only ,validate & enable them.

This helps you to manage the vaults,where you will be aware from where the new data is dumped into.

Thanks everyone for your replies..

Sriram

How do I make an existing folder read only. I am not able to find an option to update an individual folder inside a root folder.

Regards

Select on the folder say Folder_OLD.In the Menu u'l find Object -> Update -> Enable the Read Only check box.

(OR)

You can double click on the Folder_OLD and you will be finding a Read Only Check box.

The best practise I would suggest is to have WC down during the operation.I have done it @ times i.e WC is down and When WC is up and ruinning but with no jobs for publishing.

Sriram

Try looking at PTC Document CS57124 - How to expand a vault onto a new physical drive in Windchill.

Top Tags