cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

NX Name

cadjett
1-Newbie

NX Name

Quick or not question.

My current client uses NX 8.5& Windchill 10.1 M040.

The issue we are having is that after checkin, the Name entered for NX cad name, does not go to windchill Name.

Upon saving of the cad file, the properties show PTC_WM_NAME & PTC_COMMON_NUMBER to be created depending on auto or not generating through epmdoc OIR.

OOTB is actually enters that value into Name, Number & File Name.

How can I set a preference, workgroup manager or ?? to pass the actual cad name ( that the user enters "Bolt, Hex, 1/2 in" into the NX Name file upon creation) into the windchill Name parameter?

I have a call into ptc, but they arent a NX WGM person, so its not helping.

I have seen in the guide, where you can write custom code for EPMDefaultDocumentNamingDelegate or EPMDocumentNamingDelegate or ??. But I would think there is a more simple method (preference, ?).

On a previous test server, I soemhow got that "Bolt, Hex, 1/2 in", to show as File Name & Name & Number were same & of course thats not what we want. Actually creating the proper Name = "Bolt..." & Number & File Name auto-numbered.

But I cant even get working again. Its not right, but at least the Name entered in the NX file was passed to windchill.

But any ideas on this would be helpful.

Sorry if my explanation of what is happening, is not explained well enough, but its late & an odd area.

Thanks
Larry Jett
cadjett@aol.com, datajett@aol.com

9 REPLIES 9

By The Way, just playing around, I added NX property of PTC_COMMON_NAME & tried to enter some NX parameter, property that equaled the Name entered "Bolt...", but have not found the name parameter yet. But what ever did set that property to, it did pass it to the Windchill Name attribute.

Trying everything. I imagined its explained in the NX WGM guide, but its all over the place & so many posssiblities, so I decided to come here to the experts.

Thanks
Larry Jett

I just realized something, that I might not have realized because I have never been with a client that had NX & Windchill.

I was on NX, when it was UGI & UGII. Too long ago.

I realized that when you Select New from a NX session & it opens a window & you have a text entry field of Name (in the New File Name frame), it includes model1.prt (at least for this client & my install). So that means its wanting either Number or File Name, which will be the same in the end.

That model1.prt will be replaced with an auto numbered string.

So I am now wondering where the NX user enters the Common Name (I think that's the field in Creo/ProE) &/or Description.
Like "Bolt, Hex, 1/2 in". So this can eventually go into Windchill as Name.

From what I recall in Creo (because I don't have it installed on my laptop to check), when you start in Creo & have number auto generated, you get a screen with 2 text entry lines. Top will fill with auto gen number & 2nd (I think is Common Name), is where you enter the description "Bolt...".

So again, where should the NX user enter a description name "Bolt..."? In some NX property or parameter. Or edit/rename in the workspace, as its being checked in?

Any help is appreciated & especially since I have never had a client who has NX & Windchill.

Thanks
Larry Jett

I also just noticed that after Accepting the default Name (model1.prt), it automatically applies windchill auto generated number &/or File Name XXXXXX03160.prt (as shown in 02 attached image).

After you save & view file properties, you can see where it has pulled & assigned windchill attributes (image 03).

It loads iteration, lifecycle, state, or id, rev, along with name & number (PTC_WM_..... for all).

Of course I like the Number (PTC_WM_NUMBER) being XXXX03160 without extension. But I am not sure if the PTC_WM_NAME is writing to Name or File Name & windchill makes one same as other. Then also which one the user can control, by entering "Bolt....". Then when the user enters "Bolt...", how do I get that to be the Name attribute Value in Windchill.

Now with a different outlook, I might proceed further & research, but if there are any NX & Windchill guru's out there, you can maybe save me some major time...

Thanks
Larry Jett

Wow. Either no one uses NX with Windchill or my description was hard to make sense of.

Basically I need a route for NX users to enter a descriptive Name ("Bolt, Hex, ..."), because I think OOTB WGM forces auto-numbered number into Number, Name & File Name. Where they can enter a Name in the NX session & it becomes Name in the Name windchill attribute.

It would be nice if the Name entered in the New Name text enter field, when opening a new NX cad file. But that seems impossible. That initial Name value gets over-written with PTC_WM_NAME, from maybe Number from WGM.

I can currently get this to happen, if I set the NX property PTC_COMMON_NAME equal to what the user wants the Windchill Name to be. But I don't think that attribute/property is supposed to be used in NX. When I open a NX file, several windchill attributes/parameters are already read/written. PTC_WM_NAME, PTC_WM_NUMBER, PTC_WM_REVISION, etc.

But it would be nice if I could get windchill or the workgroup manager to also open a property/parameter/attribute for PTC_COMMON_NAME. That would be a good alternate route to have the user create the property/parameter/attribute.

Now they have to accept the duplicate number into number, name & file name & change the Name up in windchill manually.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Larry Jett

cc-2
6-Contributor
(To:cadjett)

you could surely develop a script that you rename for you upon user request (a button in the interface to do so) ?

Le Samedi 18 avril 2015 17h26, Lawrence Jett <-> a écrit :

Wow. Either no one uses NX with Windchill or my description was hard to make sense of.Basically I need a route for NX users to enter a descriptive Name ("Bolt, Hex, ..."), because I think OOTB WGM forces auto-numbered number into Number, Name & File Name. Where they can enter a Name in the NX session & it becomes Name in the Name windchill attribute.It would be nice if the Name entered in the New Name text enter field, when opening a new NX cad file. But that seems impossible. That initial Name value gets over-written with PTC_WM_NAME, from maybe Number from WGM.I can currently get this to happen, if I set the NX property PTC_COMMON_NAME equal to what the user wants the Windchill Name to be. But I don't think that attribute/property is supposed to be used in NX. When I open a NX file, several windchill attributes/parameters are already read/written. PTC_WM_NAME, PTC_WM_NUMBER, PTC_WM_REVISION, etc.But it would be nice if I could get windchill or the workgroup manager to also open a property/parameter/attribute for PTC_COMMON_NAME. That would be a good alternate route to have the user create the property/parameter/attribute.Now they have to accept the duplicate number into number, name & file name & change the Name up in windchill manually.Any help is appreciated.Thanks
Larry Jett
Site Links: View post online View mailing list online Start new thread via email Unsubscribe from this mailing list Manage your subscription

Use of this email content is governed by the terms of service at:
ddemay
1-Newbie

L - I've noticed the slow trickle to ptc.com. Less folks responding here
these days and posting questions. - D

On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 12:26 PM, Lawrence Jett <->
wrote:

> Wow. Either no one uses NX with Windchill or my description was hard to
> make sense of.
>
> Basically I need a route for NX users to enter a descriptive Name ("Bolt,
> Hex, ..."), because I think OOTB WGM forces auto-numbered number into
> Number, Name & File Name. Where they can enter a Name in the NX session &
> it becomes Name in the Name windchill attribute.
>
> It would be nice if the Name entered in the New Name text enter field,
> when opening a new NX cad file. But that seems impossible. That initial
> Name value gets over-written with PTC_WM_NAME, from maybe Number from WGM.
>
> I can currently get this to happen, if I set the NX property
> PTC_COMMON_NAME equal to what the user wants the Windchill Name to be. But
> I don't think that attribute/property is supposed to be used in NX. When I
> open a NX file, several windchill attributes/parameters are already
> read/written. PTC_WM_NAME, PTC_WM_NUMBER, PTC_WM_REVISION, etc.
>
> But it would be nice if I could get windchill or the workgroup manager to
> also open a property/parameter/attribute for PTC_COMMON_NAME. That would be
> a good alternate route to have the user create the
> property/parameter/attribute.
>
> Now they have to accept the duplicate number into number, name & file name
> & change the Name up in windchill manually.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Larry Jett
> cadjett@aol.com, datajett@aol.com
>

Hello Nac, What kind of script. NX script? Which language. I havent done much on NX lately. Is it like a macro or mapkey in creo. I used to do grip & userfunction in UG (now nx), but I think that would be an over kill.

One of the things that would help is if I could get windcghill &/or wgm to accept PTC_COMMON_NAME. Then when the user enters Name in his 1stNX session window (after opening/creating a file), it will write that name into PTC_COMMON_NAME, instead of PTC-WM_NAME. Except for the fact that windchill oever writes that PTC_WM_NAME with the auto numbered number. So I would have to disconnect it making PTC_WM_NAME or PTC_COMMON_NAME, like it does currently.

My head is spinning, with all this confusion.

Dave, I hope users will always come here, because ptc support is good, butI think the gurus here are better. Thats why we mainly come here. Either quicker response or ptc support not knowing the answer. some one at ptc should know the answer, but those that do arent the ones taking the calls.

Larry

cc-2
6-Contributor

HiI am just assuming that NX can be scripted the way crew is with weblink and control some of the functionality of windchillI only know crew and if we had to rename those parameter I could add a new button in crew interface to do the job
So PTC is not helping you ?
Other I agree with your other comment. This place has becomes in the last 5 years or so quite confidential and it is a very good place but they decided to kill it and merge it with the commonersSo soon we will all have to go to the other side

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
At 19 Apr 2015 15:37:07, Lawrence -'> wrote:
Hello Nac, What kind of script. NX script? Which language. I havent done much on NX lately. Is it like a macro or mapkey in creo. I used to do grip & userfunction in UG (now nx), but I think that would be an over kill.

One of the things that would help is if I could get windcghill &/or wgm to accept PTC_COMMON_NAME. Then when the user enters Name in his 1st NX session window (after opening/creating a file), it will write that name into PTC_COMMON_NAME, instead of PTC-WM_NAME. Except for the fact that windchill oever writes that PTC_WM_NAME with the auto numbered number. So I would have to disconnect it making PTC_WM_NAME or PTC_COMMON_NAME, like it does currently.

Dave, I hope users will always come here, because ptc support is good, but I think the gurus here are better. Thats why we mainly come here. Either quicker response or ptc support not knowing the answer. some one at ptc should know the answer, but those that do arent the ones taking the calls.

Larry
Site Links: View post online View mailing list online Start new thread via email Unsubscribe from this mailing list Manage your subscription

I have developed in UG ages ago. It was grip & userfunction. Same as toolkit, jlink, weblink, to a degree.

I really didnt want to go that far. If they have something like mapkeys (for creo), on the NX side.

No, ptc has not been much help.

They just sent me emails saying their check in makes all 3 the same (auto generated name, number, file name).

I was able to do that myself.

I told them the creation of an NX file from a workspace does it right. number & file name 123??? & name descriptive (bolt..).

But that didnt help. I told them PTC_COMMON_NAME did the trick. I add that property & add a value & it comes across
as Name. That did help.

But it might just be that th ptc they assigned to the call, just doesnt know NX or its WGM well.

But I will keep trying or settle for mapkey type avenue to have user add value in PTC_COMMON_NAME property.

Thanks
Larry Jett

In Reply to NacNac MOTT:

HiI am just assuming that NX can be scripted the way crew is with weblink and control some of the functionality of windchillI only know crew and if we had to rename those parameter I could add a new button in crew interface to do the job
So PTC is not helping you ?
Other I agree with your other comment. This place has becomes in the last 5 years or so quite confidential and it is a very good place but they decided to kill it and merge it with the commonersSo soon we will all have to go to the other side

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
At 19 Apr 2015 15:37:07, Lawrence -'> wrote:

One of the things that would help is if I could get windcghill &/or wgm to accept PTC_COMMON_NAME. Then when the user enters Name in his 1st NX session window (after opening/creating a file), it will write that name into PTC_COMMON_NAME, instead of PTC-WM_NAME. Except for the fact that windchill oever writes that PTC_WM_NAME with the auto numbered number. So I would have to disconnect it making PTC_WM_NAME or PTC_COMMON_NAME, like it does currently.

Dave, I hope users will always come here, because ptc support is good, but I think the gurus here are better. Thats why we mainly come here. Either quicker response or ptc support not knowing the answer. some one at ptc should know the answer, but those that do arent the ones taking the calls.

Larry

http://portal.ptcuser.org/p/cm/ld/fid=203
Top Tags