cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

New Document Type for Analysis Results

j0sizemore
4-Participant

New Document Type for Analysis Results

Hello,

I want to create a new document type to store analysis results. There will be several different kinds of files, some native to the various analyses software, some will be Excel or Word documents, others might be a surface, iges or step file. The fileswill be associated to a particular version of a CAD part and/or assembly. Icreated an 'Analysis Document' under Reference documents, but it is not showing up on the drop down in my workspace - although I have checked the access and it seems to be correct.

So, I have multiple questions:

1) Is a single analysis document type sufficient? Separate document types seems to be overkill, as the docs will have to be downloaded to be opened anyway. What about having the users zip them all up and storing the zip file??

2) What is the trick to making a new doc type show up in the workspace drop down?

3) 'Reference' document or 'Describes' to keep it linked to specific revisions?Although the results will always carry forward until a major design change is made...

4) Is the best approach to have the engineers doing the analysis create the WTPart in order to associate the documents? Wehave notgenerated WTParts in the past.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me figure this out! [Windchill 9.1 M060].

Joanna Bruner

Grote Industries

1 REPLY 1

Recommendations:

1. One Document sub type is sufficient. A "Document" can hold any type of file. No need to .zip - but it may be desirable to collect many analysis files and zip them at times, and make that single zip file the primary content of the document. Note also that there may be any number of secondary / attachment files for a document.

2. In general (with some exceptions), the workspace is only used for CAD (EPM) Documents.

3. Relationships to WTParts (create the sub type of document depending on desired behavior):

a. Document: From the WTPart, the version of the Document is displayed that was linked when the WTPart was checked in (generally used to keep Revisions in synch)

b. Reference Document: From the WTPart, the latest RELEASED version of the Reference Document is displayed when the WTPart was checked in (generally used to allow floating to latest Rev of the Ref Doc)

4. WTParts are in fact the best "glue" to allow CAD and non-CAD documents to be associated.
Top Tags