cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Nightly publish of viewables of specific file type

egifford
4-Participant

Nightly publish of viewables of specific file type

I’m trying to fulfill a request from our machine shop to publish .mfg format Pro/E files as they are checked in to Windchill. Currently I have one worker, one agent and a single queue successfully handling all other Pro/E file formats as they are checked in or manually sent for publication. The problem with the .mfg files is they require the machining package license in order to be opened. Currently the adapter configuration (worker) is configured to use a dedicated license of Pro/E that does not include the machining package floating license as an add-on at startup. Thus publication of the .mfg files fails. We have three machining licenses but they are in use during the day by our NC programming department, so I can’t just add the license as a startup add-on for the current worker. If I did it would either still fail (all three are in use by the programmers) or potentially grab a license preventing a programmer from working. What I’ve proposed is that I run a separate, overnight routine that publishes all .mfg files modified within the past 24 hours. The programming office is down to one guy on night shift, so a Machining license would be available. I could create a unique worker definition that calls a Pro/E launch command that includes the Machining option, but here is where I start to get a little unsure of how to fully execute this. Here is what I’m thinking I have to do:

• Create the unique worker that calls a Pro/E command including the Machining option license

• Create a specific worker agent on the Windchill server that calls this worker

• Isolate this work to a unique Queue

• Use a WVS Job scheduler to execute the job each night (not sure on this as the interface doesn’t seem to have the necessary options)

• OR – set the unique queue and Worker availability settings to include a start and end time options

Is this a reasonable approach? Is there a better way to accomplish this? How do I specify that it only publish .mfg files and only those modified in the last day?Alternatively, could Idetect the failed .mfg publication requests from that day and publish them using a different worker command that uses the Machining option license? Although the shop could view the .asm file associated with the .mfg file and get the same visual information, the ability to do this could be useful in the future for other file types or publication scenarios. Thanks for your help.

Pro/E Wildfire 4 M220

Windchill 10 M030

Erik

2 REPLIES 2
bfrandsen
6-Contributor
(To:egifford)

Are you planning to upgrade to Creo 2.0 in the near future?
There you can retrieve manufacturing assemblies in ordinary assembly mode by setting the config option: allow_mfg_in_assem_mode YES.

/Bjarne
egifford
4-Participant
(To:egifford)

Bjarne,

We're planning to make the move to Creo 2 this summer. Thanks for the tip on the config option.

Erik

Top Tags