cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Numbering and versioning

didiriek
5-Regular Member

Numbering and versioning

Hi, After a fresh install of Windchill auto generated numbering starts with 10 digits: 0000000001 And versions/revisions with a letter: A, makes 0000000001 - A I'm setting everything up but I would like to change 2 things: 1. numbering that starts with 7 (as 0000000001 and up is already in use): 7000000001 2. revisions start with a number, no letter: 70000000001- 00 This on organization level, but as XML is a new world to be it seems like it is really hard... Not something that is quickly done? Please help, I'm quite stuck and as long as this is not set up, I can't get Windchill to use. Thank you!
2 REPLIES 2
mmeadows-3
13-Aquamarine
(To:didiriek)

Per your question, it looks like you would like a number that reports as {XXXXXXX number}-{XX revision} "70000000001- 00".  That only works if your company never actually revises but only saves a copy from an existing revisions.  What is the actual business requirement for Number and Revision?

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:didiriek)

You will need to load a new revision table into Windchill to switch from Alphanumeric to Numeric versioning. Information on how is in the documentation or online help.

starting your autonumbering at 7xxxxxxxxxx can be done in 2 ways. The preferred method would be to increment the sequence seed in Oracle to 70000000000, so the next generated number will be 70000000001. This is documented in some Oracle help pages and a couple of threads here. The second method, and easier, would be to modify the number sequence in the OIR so it starts with a 7 and then use a 9-digit sequence number.

If the old 0xxxxxxxxxx numbers are on the same system, you will need to create a new sequence for your 7xxxxxxxxx number series.

Do not expect that all numbers will be issued sequentially. The sequence rules in Oracle jump to the next increment of 10 if a number is not grabbed in a certain time frame or the system is restarted. his can be controlled to avoid the skips in Oracle. Articles here have covered this. Also, if you do some save-as filing, an assembly will grab a new number for every component and if you don't actually use them, they get tossed aside.

Top Tags