Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On-line spare parts catalogues

Level 9

On-line spare parts catalogues

Is anyone using a Windchill solution to offer spare parts to customers on-line?

We make machines to order. Our effort to deliver spare parts catalogues is tremendous, and still with a very poor result. I was wondering if PTC provides a Windchill solution (PDMLink, PartsLink, ...) to allow a specific customer with specific machines to use our Windchill-database to identify the components he has to order.

Regards, Hugo.

(PDMLink 8.0, WF3)

2 REPLIES 2

RE: On-line spare parts catalogues

Hugo,

We customized our Windchill 7.0 installation to provide a solution like you describe. We call it “related parts” (sad to say that PDMLink uses this same terminology for EPM doc links). In our installation this is basically a link between part masters that has an attribute for “type”. We use it to relate “service”, “workshop”, “test” and “accessories” together, so providing a navigable relationship from one item to any others that might be related to it. We publish these relationships along with other part data to an enterprise wide search tool called Endeca. The rest of the organization can then easily use this to navigate from one part to the other spares and accessories etc they might need in conjunction with it.

To my knowledge PTC do not have a solution that offers the functionality I described above. One possible toolset it was suggested I investigate was to use a product configuration, but in my experience that was a much more involved solution than we required and the overhead did not justify the returns. The main issue we had was that we did not want the part numbers we required linked to be used in the other parts product structure. In other words, the parent part number for the spares kit would not be called out in the assembly it was for. Instead all the components used in the spares kit would be called out directly in the assembly. We needed it to work like this because we do not want to relieve inventory of the packaged spares kit every time we build the assembly, instead we just want to pull the components directly.

I hope this is clear and useful for you, if you have any questions about our customization please get in touch.

-----

Lewis

Re: RE: On-line spare parts catalogues

@LewisLawrence 

Greetings Lewis. 

I realize this is very old, but wondered if you still used this customization, and if so, I wondered if I could see a screen shot of how you are using it?  It seems like a way to list spare parts which is something I am investigating. 

James

Windchill 11.0 M030 CPS08