cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Open PDF NOT in Creo View from Windchill

lhoogeveen
17-Peridot

Open PDF NOT in Creo View from Windchill

Is there any way to open PDF's directly into a PDF viewer (like Adobe/Acrobat Reader) instead of Creo View when using the Windchill search results? Creo View opens the PDF with Acrobat Reader embedded within Creo View which has caused software compatibility issues as Acrobat Reader continues to be updated. Then we're left updating Creo View to work with the latest until Acrobat Reader gets updated again. This has happened twice in the last year and packaging software through our IT can take several weeks/months. I'd like to get out of the annoying compatibility cycle and just open the PDF directly without Creo View. I have seen no advantage to opening PDF's in Creo View yet with disadvantages including having less screen space to view the drawing and software compatibility issues. Creo View works pretty well for 3D but has no real use when looking at PDFs.

We're using Windchill 10.1 M040 currently but are hoping to go to Windchill 11 later this year if there's a solution in a later version of Windchill.

open pdf.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:lhoogeveen)

Files stored in Windchill as content generated by publishing machine are not stored as >PDF files. They are in Windchill as a .PVZ file which is supplemental data and the .PDF in an internal zipped format.

We store AutoCAD files and PDFs in Windchill with the PDF being primary and the DWG as an attachment. Wehen I click on the ODF it opens directly in Adobe, just like a Word file opens in Word.

There's a way to directly access to PDF from Windchill but it's kinda hidden in Windchill 10.1 M040. It requires several extra button clicks and is hard to train users to remember it's there. Seems like it be way simpler to just open a PDF by default (or even an option to set this or an additional button to open PDF) and remove the software compatibility issue. The PVZ portion is nice as I believe it provides the thumbnails in Windchill but the software compatibility issue is very annoying.

Nice workaround! It seems like it was be easier for PTC to have an option to open PDFs without Creo View if available.

PDF from Windchill.jpg

Top Tags