cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Oracle 11g for WC10: upgrade or fresh install?

jaguilar-chang
1-Newbie

Oracle 11g for WC10: upgrade or fresh install?

Hello.

We are about to upgrade from WC9.X to 10.X. We currently have an Oracle database 10gR2 installed. Can you offer opinions/recommendations/experiences of an "upgrade" of 10gr2 to 11gR2 versus a "fresh install" of 11gR2 followed by data migration (Oracle export/import) operation.

I am the Oracle DBA supporting PDMLink, so I'm familiar with doing either method and I can see pros and cons on both methods.

Any experience you can share will be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE 03/15/2012:

-------------------------------

Below is the response I received from PTC when I opened a ticket with them regarding this issue:

"PTC’s official stance is to follow the guide and do a fresh install of 11g, then import the database into it. However, you should have no problems using the upgrade manager provided by oracle (make sure you do a full backup before upgrading). "

Message was edited by: Julio Aguilar-Chang

UPDATE 08/22/2014:

-------------------------------

We proceeded with PTC's official recommendation and did a fresh install of Oracle 11gR2 (11.2.0.4), followed by a data pump import of the Windchill schema. No problems have been reported from the Oracle database. An fresh install was chosen over an in-place upgrade of the 10g database because the "original" 10g database was considered our fall back strategy in case we encountered issues with the new 11g database.

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags