cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Oracle archive logs: yes or no?

jaguilar-chang
1-Newbie

Oracle archive logs: yes or no?

To fellow Oracle DBAs who support PDMLink:

Can someone point me to specific documentation from PTC where it shows that archive logs MUST NOT be used, and why? Here is why I'm asking:

As an Oracle DBA who wants to keep his job, I have enabled archive logs on our production DB that supports PDMLink. We are having issues with PDMLink and other PDMLink admins are looking into it (authentication through Active Directory was just turned on - hmmmm ...), but there is a PDMLink administrator who is telling management that archive logs on the Oracle database should not be enabled and management is questioning if the archive logs are part of the problem. I know for a fact that the Oracle alert log is not showing any ORA- errors at all, and I don't see how archiving can affect the normal operation of PDMLink.

I'm NOT going to turn off archiving unless I see compeling reasons to do so. Anything that you can share will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

I have never heard any mention that Oracle Archive Logging should not be enabled when using Windchill PDMLink.

We have had it turned on for versions 9.0 and 9.1 for several years now with no issues and "Ship" the Logs using DBvisit to maintain a standby database system in case of a primary system failure.

Rgds

Gary

There is no reason for someone to ask you to disable archive logs.

You should go back to TS asking for a better explanation, cause this not acceptable to ask you to do this.

You can have a look at : http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/128367/en/WCSystemMonitoringMaintenanceOverview.pdf Page 11.

Archivelog is the only way to avoid data lost.

Cheers,

Morgan

You are absolutely right. No archive log - no fast restore. Only effect is on performance and it is only recommended to turn it off during migration/massive data load due to IO limitations. When in production this needs to be on!

Top Tags