cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

PDF files in Windchill 10.2 not recognized as PDFs

MSC12
1-Newbie

PDF files in Windchill 10.2 not recognized as PDFs

When I was adding Drawing files to windchill I typically upload an associated PDF for distribution. Originally I would open the drawing in Creo, save it to my workspace then do a "Save as" -> PDF. This would save the part, drawing and a PDF of the drawing in my workspace and I could check-in all 3 to the same file folder. Later, I started just checking-in the drawing and part then later adding the PDF by using the "multiple new document" function in Windchill. I thought I was accomplishing the same thing but I found a problem. The pdf files uploaded from creo dont recognise that they are PDFs they show up as Document catigory: Other"

This wouldnt bother me except the recognised PDF files have more options than the "unknown" PDFs. Seen here:

p1.PNG

p2.PNG

The file with the Adobe logo is the working one and the black arrow is the non working one. All I need to be able to do is "Checkout and Edit" or simply "Replace" for when changes are made to the Drawing file the PDF can be upadated too. Is there a way I can get that functionality out of the non recognized pdfs? Is there a way I can set them to BE pdfs in windchill?

Any help would be much appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:MSC12)

I suspect the PDFs created from Creo were saved as "CAD Documents" (EPM Documents) and the ones manually uploaded are just "Documents" (WT Documents). The behavior of each is very different. CAD docs can be added to a workspace and are expected to be opened with the authoring application (Creo in this case). WT docs cannot be added to a workspace.

MSC12
1-Newbie

I think you are right! It seems as though Windchill thinks it is a CAD document because it was checked in with CAD documents. Is there a way to change the file type in Windchill after the fact? I could go through and replace all the "CAD PDFs" manually but that seems tedious. Is there a better way?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

As far as I know the object types are not interchangable. They actually exist in completely different database tables. You can't simply turn one type into another. I'm sure there is some way to automate the conversion process, but I don't know how.

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomU)

I'm sorry, but Tom is right. There are no OOTB tools to convert CAD Documents to WTDocuments.

Top Tags