Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDM Link Vs SAP for PLM

Highlighted

PDM Link Vs SAP for PLM

Are there any current industry or company specific benchmarks that layout what PDM Link and SAP do well and if a company using Pro/E should use PDM Link for the Pro/E & CM workflow and only use SAP for the ERP/MRP side of the business. Or could a company using Pro/E stay with Intralink and use SAP and it's PLM successfully?

Is there a best practice already defined in regards to deploying SAP and PDM Link in regards to interfacing the two product together. What is a good point to transfer data. (I.E. PIM or Pro/E).
2 REPLIES 2

Re: PDM Link Vs SAP for PLM

Hi,

From your mail it seems that you alreay have Pro/E +
Intralink on the design side and SAP on the ERP/MRP
side of your business running successfully. Though i
don't have any industry bechmarks but the following
information might be of some help to you.

With the release of PDLink release 7 last year by PTC
and recently with release 8 (in June 2005) PDMlink has
become even more flexible and scalable when it comes
to integration with both Pro/E and SAP. And any
business that has both Design (Pro/E) and ERP
solutions would definitely need a solution that
seamlessly integrates/communicates data among these
applications.

Since both PDMLink and Pro/E are PTC products they
integrate well with each other. And for the
integration with SAP, PTC is now using the industry
leading solution TIBCO software that allows
bi-directional data transfer. WIth TIBCO, PDMLInk can
transfer Part/BOM/Documents/Drawings to SAP and even
get any relevant real-time information from SAP into
PDMlink.

Hope this info. is of some help to you. If u need more
info. then do let me know.

-SAHIL

--- mhendrickson@cirrusdesign.com wrote:

> Are there any current industry or company specific
> benchmarks that layout what PDM Link and SAP do well
> and if a company using Pro/E should use PDM Link for
> the Pro/E & CM workflow and only use SAP for the
> ERP/MRP side of the business. Or could a company
> using Pro/E stay with Intralink and use SAP and it's
> PLM successfully?
>
> Is there a best practice already defined in regards
> to deploying SAP and PDM Link in regards to
> interfacing the two product together. What is a good
> point to transfer data. (I.E. PIM or Pro/E).
>
>
> ---
>
> You are currently subscribed to infrastructure.
> To unsubscribe send a blank e-mail to
> -.
>
> For assistance, email us at -
> or find other contacts at
> www.ptcuser.org/org/contacts.html.
>
> PTC/USER and the PTC/USER logo are registered
> trademarks of PTC/USER, Inc.
> Pro/ENGINEER is a registered trademark of PTC.
>
> Message authors are solely responsible for the
> content of their posts.
>

re: PDM Link Vs SAP for PLM

I have spent quite some time dealing with these integration issues and there is no clear cut off point where/when design data should be published into SAP (or any ERP application for that matter). It depends on your specific situation.

Some general remarks.
(1) Never try to publish data from Pro/E into ERP. Do it from either PDMLink or ProI.
(2) SAP is not very good ad handling multiple BOMs. They exist as parallel structures and must all be maintained separately. If you have an engineering BOM and a manufacturing BOM in SAP and something changes in the design, you have to update both. If you stick with ProI, you will have to maintain your BOMs in SAP. If you implement PDMLink, BOM maintenance is far more powerfull, allowing you to maintain only the deltas between both BOMs. In that case, you do your BOM maintenance in PDMLink and transfer only the manufacturing BOM into SAP.
(3) Release management and change management is limited / not existing in ProI. To organise such thing in SAP to manage objects outside SAP will never yield good results. If you have PDMLink, use the WF there to organise your design, tooling, manufacturing, ... departments and to trigger tasks in SAP to deal with whatever has to be done down there.
(4) I've just finished a rather thorough review of PDMLink 8. My advice would now be to migrate to PDMLink. Version 8 is at the level of ProI, where this was not yet the case in version 7. It is far more easier to maintain than the combination "ProI - gateway - PDMLink - ..." Only thing that remains to be seen, is how well the migration tool performs.
(5) The remark about Tibco is correct. Only, it is quite expensive software. Just have a look at what you want to transfer before going in this direction.
(6) If you want to stick with ProI, have a look at Riess Engineering. They have developed an integration that allows you to store Pro/E files directly in SAP (completely unworkable !!!) but the same integration can also be used as the communication layer between ProI and SAP.

Just yell if you need more information.
Luc
Announcements
LiveWorx Call For Papers Happening Now!