cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

PDMLink 9.1 M050 Customizing Column Lengths

borourke
10-Marble

PDMLink 9.1 M050 Customizing Column Lengths

We recently migrated from 8.0 M040, where we had changed the VALUE and VALUE2 fields in the STRINGVALUE table to 4000. I was able to get the length value of 4000 through the UpgradeManager with no problem. The problem we are experiencing now is we have a new soft type object based on a WTDocument with an IBA for a summary filed, and 9.1 does a length check for only 500 characters, causing the create to blow up if the user types a dissertation. I found the section in the Customizers Guide on how to alter column lengths, but the example given is for the WTDoucmentt object, and I cannot figure out how to to do this for the STRINGVALUE table. Just wondering if any brave explorers in PTCland have done something similar to this. Thanks in advance!

Send lawyers, guns, and money...the sh!t has hit the fan!
5 REPLIES 5

I thought the length requirement for stringvalue was altered only with rational rose. Serialization is the issue. The code doesn't know the db capacity has increased. I think the column customization covers modeled elemtns vs non modeled. PTC should be able to show you how to do this if you license Windchill Information Modeler.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
PreetiGupta
14-Alexandrite
(To:borourke)

I also have exactly same requirement where users wants to fill in more detail about a change(Justification, Description etc). Right now IBAs allow 500 character limit.

I was able to increase the column length using steps in Customizer Guide and PTC tech support also helped us. The steps generate new SER files followed by direct column alter in database.

You need to have Windchill Informodelar installed.

1) Create a file say valueModel.properties in
%WT_HOME%\wtCustom\wt\iba\value

2) Insert the following text in valueModel.properties

StringValue.value.UpperLimit=4000
StringValue.value2.UpperLimit=4000

3) Execute the following

ant -f %wt_home%\bin\tools.xml custom_column -Dgen.input=wt.iba.value.*

Thanks,

Lakshman Easwaran
Stryker Orthopaedics
325 Corporate Drive
Mahwah, NJ 07430
PreetiGupta
14-Alexandrite
(To:borourke)

One thing I am concerned when we increase the column length on STRINGVALUE table. We have over 21 million rows in this table in database. This is the only table which stores string IBAs for all object types.

Did you see any performance issues when the VALUE column length has increased?

We also have about 25 million records in StringValue table and we do not
have any performance issue when creating/editing IBAs.

We had performance issue when searching against IBAs. Search used to
take 2 minutes with one IBA in search criteria and with three IBAs (one
being discrete set constraint) it used to take 17 minutes. PTC has fixed
this issue through SPR 1888550. We applied the patch for the same and
now any search against IBAs takes only 5 seconds . Attached is the patch
details.

Thanks,

Lakshman Easwaran
Stryker Orthopaedics
325 Corporate Drive
Mahwah, NJ 07430
Top Tags