cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

PDMLink to PDMLink data migration

proedude
2-Guest

PDMLink to PDMLink data migration

We will be needing to merge two PDMLink databases together. Here's the layout:

PDM#1: PDMLink database #1 is the target - it is our primary database. Very large, in production for nearly 2 years. Direct connection to SAP via messaging services. WTPart information is automatically kicked to SAP based upon lifecycle states in PDMLink. Highly integrated system - upgrades to SAP cause major impacts to PDMLink customizations. Very large database. Measured in terabytes.

PDM#2: PDMLink database #2 is source system - it is a smaller database than #1 but by no means small. Data from this database will need to be auto-magically pushed to SAP similar to PDM#1. Goal is to put all CADDoc and WTPart information into PDM#1, then use existing messaging tools and workflows for all data from both in a single PDMLink system. Let's assume for argument sake that there are only 1,000,000 Pro/E files - in reality, there are many more. Workflows from PDM#2 do not need to be retained as part of the merge. Let's assume that the lifecycle states, revision sequences, templates, etc are sufficiently similar to be of little consequence and let's simply focus on the Pro/E data transfer.

A federated approach is a non-starter - first, not only is federation a substantially complicated task, but it would require us to maintain messaging systems for both PDMLink environments. Just not at all an option due the increased manpower and testing requirements. Management looks at this situation and says "just put the data from PDM#2 into PDM#1 and be done with it". And indeed that is what we want to do - the question is, how?

So aside from simply exporting to disk 1M Pro/E files and then importing into PDM#1, what tools are available to 'merge' the content of these two PDMLink databases together? There /will/ be name conflicts. Revision/versions will not always match, of course. Let's assume only 10% of objects have name conflicts. If possible, I would like to have the system down for less than two weeks for the production cut-over.

To the best of my knowledge, PTC does not provide a data migration tool to go from PDMLink to PDMLink. Only PLM Connector is available and I believe that is one-way tool that 'pushes' information AND is not meant as a data migration tool of this scale.

Has anyone run into a similar need and if so, how did you tackle this problem? If you respond to me directly, I will post a summary at the end of next week of all responses.

Thank you in advance.

Paul J. Crane, PMP
IT Team Leader, Engineering Systems
John Deere Agriculture and Turf Division
2000 John Deere Run
Cary, NC 27513
2 REPLIES 2
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:proedude)

Hmmm... Pretty tough.
Time to go work for a small start-up company. 🙂

- Try touse windchill loading utitlities: export /import data to xml files. If you have any Model Objects - in this case need to create custom load methods to handle data export/import.

- Make sense to tryto export entire Product and Library Contexts to the files system. Two Windchill instances should be the same from business point.

- Try to use PLMConnector

D

Top Tags