cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

PP server connection optimization settings questions

pwyndham
3-Visitor

PP server connection optimization settings questions

I have a PP setup on 2 servers, SharePoint/ProductPoint on one and the SQL database on the other. PP version 1.1 M030.

I have Pro/E WF5 installed on a couple machines. On all of them there is a large wait time when Pro/E is launched. I have 3 test machines, 2 are 32bit machines and one is 64bit. The 32bit machines are Windows XP and Vista while the 64bit machine is Windows 7. All act the same when it comes to the connection of Pro/E to PP. The Win7 machine also has a 1GB network connection. The Pro/E version in 5.0 M050.

Both of the servers are hosted locally here at my site in the same server room.

When Pro/E is launched some times it comes up fast and other times it is unresponsive for some length of time. Then, when you try to open a part you get large delays between when you click open and the dialog is ready. Then, again everytime you click on a new part or change the type to assembly for example. It does not seem to much difference if the preview window is open or not. Once I have selected a part/assembly in the open dialog it will switch back to it quickly. It is just slow the first time going to it. This makes it hard to look for a specific part, especially if you want to see the preview to help know if the part is right.

I need PP point to respond my quicker.

Does anyone know any tips or tricks for optimizing the client/server connection?

7 REPLIES 7

You can try this:

But first you have to find out, if your network has bottleneck somewhere.

What bottlenecks??? My network has bottlenecks everywhere. IT says that they are there by design.

Thanks for the links I will look through them and see if it helps.

Tomaz, Thanks for the links. I made as many of the changes as I could. But, it did not change the connection speed.

It still takes a minute or 2 for a 3 part assembly to show up in the Pro/E Browser window.

Here is a screenshot of the assembly. It is actually 1 part and a fastener repeated.

browser.jpg

It took approximately 40 seconds to bring this flat bezel part up in the browser window. Of coarse Pro/E is frozen during this time, so all you can do is sit there and wait.

bezel.jpg

Once they have been loaded to the browser you can switch back and forth between them instantly. This includes the individual parts of the assembly. But, the next time you open Pro/E you have the extremely long waits. For example it took that first bracket assembly 45 seconds to come up in Pro/E after I double clicked on it in the browser. After it has been opened once you can close it and open it again as if it were in Intralink3.4. It opens instantly. All my slowness has to do when Pro/E communicates to the server.

Does anyone know of network configurations I can do to try and speed up our network?

Thanks

In contrast it took 6 minutes to load our Ultrasound cart assembly in WF5 and ProductPoint.

In Intralink3.4 to check out the top assembly it has 1028 parts it checked out. It took 3 minutes 50 seconds to checkout, launch Pro/E WF4 and load the assembly. Most of that time was of course in the check out process. But, Intralink was checking out all the parts referenced, while ProductPoint was only getting the stuff it needed to load into memory.

I think it is sweet that the next time you open the assembly with PP it is super fast. But, is there anyway to cut that initial load in half at least? I have a gigabit network connection on this machine.

Hi Paul,

What's your server specs and version/flavour of SQL?

Regards,

Alan

The sharepoint server:

• 3.6 GHz processor
  • 3.5 GB RAM

SQL server:

• 3.4GHz
  • 2.0 GB RAM
  • MS SQL Server 2008 R2

These are just some test servers we had. I have some new servers order They should be much better. They will be hosted through T-Systems. Hopefully the connection speed is fast enough.

Hi Paul,

I'm not familiar with T-Systems, is that an offsite service?

Are the servers currently 64bit? I think not but better to ask 🙂

Regards,

Alan

The current servers are not 64bit. Does that make a difference?

T-Systems is some offsite Server company. All are servers are moving there.

Top Tags