cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

PSE - adding ref document - no qualifying version was found.

ptc-1175066
1-Newbie

PSE - adding ref document - no qualifying version was found.

We are moving toward part (wtpart) management in windchill. When I add a reference document I get an alert "No qualifying version was found". The document gets added but I'd like to understand this alert. Has anyone run into this one?

9 REPLIES 9

Not 100% sure, but since the mechanism is to float to latest RELEASED, if it cannot find RELEASED for any version, it floats to latest iteration of latest Revision..

Yes you're right ...

by default it is RELEASED, but you can set the lifecycle states you want in the preference manager

Thanks. I am having trouble finding the preference that controls this.

The document has two versions, 0.0 which is obsolete and 1.0 which is released. So it is finding the released, and still throwing the alert. If you could direct me to where this preference is set...i am not seeing it.

-site/pref management/Part Management/Part to Document Association logic : will control if only document of type "reference" (in the type Manager), or all types of documents can be link to a WTPart with a reference link

-site /pref management/Part Management / List of comma separated life cycle states of documents used to display associated Reference documents to part

Thanks. Unfortunately, I am not a site admin so I'll have to get some help on this one from one of our site admins.

Important concept here...

Preferences as well as many other configurations can be overridden at lower levels. There is no "right" answer but the admin's should agree on how things are to be handled and carefully documented.

This preference as well as any other can be left alone at Site, then set to something different at the Organization level. In say Product 2, it can be set to something different still, overriding that at Org level.

At each higher level:

- the value can be locked, preventing override at a lower level

- any lower level values (termed "child instances of the preference) can be deleted

In general, we have left EVERYTHING at site alone, and chosen to override at Org level, always expecting someday to have an additional Organization or maybe more. In some Products and Libraries we also override. It becomes a documentation challenge - need to look at carefully.

Thanks, there is some good info here. But this particular preference does not appear to be available to me as an org admin. So perhaps, as you state it is locked at site level.

We currently have about 8 organizations under the site. Some preferences are set at site and locked and some are currently set at org level or even at product or library level as you state.

This is our sites first venture into PSE. There are many preference settings available which we still need to explore.

Do you have experience with using wtparts, product structures and document linkages?

Oh yes 😉

13 years working with (never for ...) PTC and windchill. Most of time within two Companies world leaders in Aerospace and Defense field (European side of Atlantic ) ...

And some major enhancements in CAD and WTparts structures management present today in windchill 10 are direct inheritance from my projects ... (Top Down / Bottom up between wtparts and CAD, Part Centric effectivity management with CAD, HDIC CAD heterogeneous Design in Context, or Multi CAD for one WTPart ... )

We've used PDMLink for just over 5 years. For the first 2+ years we did not use WTParts at all, then created them with appropriate CAD-driven relationships for all purchased parts, then "back-filled" (CAD Driven) for a few released mature products. Now we have ~ 55000 WTParts, and ~ 800,000 where-used Part <> Part relationsihps. We also have ~ 140,000 Part <> WTDocument relationships.

Lots to learn in this area, and many decisions to make, along with establishing best practices and then training and supporting users related to them.

Top Tags