cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

PTC WGM fails to Install on Windows10 after CPS17 is applied, It says This (Win10) Client Platform not supported

hn.a
4-Participant

PTC WGM fails to Install on Windows10 after CPS17 is applied, It says This (Win10) Client Platform not supported

Waited for CPS17 which gives support to Windows10 platform for PTC WGM, But its the same issue as I saw in CPS14. Is CPS17 really supports WGM on Windows10?

Hi Pankaj Mooteri‌, Any idea on this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:hn.a)

I manually copied the workgroup managers folder from the CPS17 download over to the Windows 10 computer.

I then ran setup.vbs from inside the CLIENT folder.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
pmooteri
12-Amethyst

Hi Harsha,

Issue seems to be with Java version that is installed on the Windows 10 system. We do support Windows 10 as client platform starting with 10.2 M030 CPS17.

Issue is reproducible with the java 8 update71. R&D have verified that issue is not reproducible with the Java 8 update 45 which we have qualified. So this is been regressed in between Java 8update 45 to update 71. Workaround could be to use java 8 update 45.

We will try to address this issue in next WWGM-CPS.

Regards,

Pankaj Mooteri

hn.a
4-Participant
(To:pmooteri)

Hi Pankaj Mooteri‌, Thanks for the reply. I have Java 8 Update 91 on my client Windows10 and this is the latest update available from Oracle. It will be really a very bad workaround to go back to the old/previous update45 to Install WGM on Windows10.

Please check and confirm update 91 is supported or any other workaround. It will be painful to uninstall update91 and go for 45 on all the client workstations.

Thanks,

Harsha.

pmooteri
12-Amethyst

Hi Harsha,

R&D is working currently on a workaround where user will be able to install WWGM on systems with Java8 Update 45+ by Creating a redistributable Windchill Workgroup Manager.

Once we confirm it, we would create a TS Article & publish it for reference.

Meanwhile, below is link for "Creating a redistributable Windchill Workgroup Manager" which you can refer until we provide exact steps for workaround in this case.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS101157

Regards,

Pankaj Mooteri

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Harsha‌, take a look at this article:  https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS241723

I just tried the first workaround last night.  I copied the entire WGM CD from CPS17 to the local machine and then ran setup from inside the CLIENT folder.  It did work.  Two things to point out:

• You have to copy the entire WGM folder.  Just copying the CLIENT folder won't work.  Apparently there are other dependencies in some of the other folders that the installer needs.
  • Installing it this way installs ALL the workgroup managers for ALL the different CAD packages.  I didn't see anyway to only install just one of them (like SolidWorks 2016).

Edit:  By the way, this was with Windows 10 Professional and Java 8 Update 91.

pmooteri
12-Amethyst
(To:TomU)

Hi Tom,

With reference to your comment <<<<Installing it this way installs ALL the workgroup managers for ALL the different CAD packages. I didn't see anyway to only install just one of them (like SolidWorks 2016).>>>>

Creating a redistributable Windchill Workgroup Manager is the way to move forward which would create cd image with the selected CAD Packages available on the server.

R&D is working with Tech support to update the article with more details and workaround, which would take care to remove the workaround of suggesting to install WGM directly from CPS CD image. Instead, we would suggest to follow to create redistributable image.

Regards,

Pankaj Mooteri

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:pmooteri)

Thanks Pankaj Mooteri‌.  I actually considered creating a package but couldn't since I was trying to do so from the same Windows 10 machine.  I had no idea if a package created for a different operating system would install correctly on Windows 10 later.

hn.a
4-Participant

Hi Tom,

Actually Download of WWGM CD's to client Windows10 doesn't happen, when I click on start installation I get the Boot Installer error message after that nothing happens

Looks like you have downloaded the CD's on client Windows10 successfully, please let me the know exact steps to Download.

Thanks,

Harsha.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I manually copied the workgroup managers folder from the CPS17 download over to the Windows 10 computer.

I then ran setup.vbs from inside the CLIENT folder.

hn.a
4-Participant

Thanks Tom, That was a Excellent workaround.

ScottMorris
17-Peridot

Agreed!

I have a number of EE's running Altium on Windows 10 machines and copying the installation folder from a Windows 7 machine is the only way to get this to work. Just need to manually create a new shortcut to start it up and everything they need for ECAD is working.

I spent a lot of time trying to get around the WC VFS installation failure, but nothing worked. Looking forward to trying this with Windchill 11.0 M030 soon.

davehaigh
11-Garnet

I was trying to create a silent installer for CPS22 and was getting nowhere. Something in our security software is now preventing the complete download of the zip files from windchill, it stalls on the second file and never creates the two files needed for the silent install. Tom suggestion to get the files from the CSP bundle is spot on. However that doesn't resolve the issue of creating a silent installer. I have a copy from a previous deployment of the two files Windchill creates when you create a silent installer package inside of Windchill and after looking at them I see that there is nothing unique to the version, maintenance build, or CSP.

The silent.bat file looks like this. The only thing unique about it is the path where I told it to find the install files:

The silent.properties file look like this. Lines 3-8 are the choices I made in the web interface.

Both files are attached so you can edit them to suit your needs.

Also is a sample install script to do the installation on a client.

Here's the process I used to build the installer:

• Download the CSPxx bundle from PTC
  • Extract it and then grab these two folders:
    • PTC_Windchill_10.2_Workgroup_Managers\Client
    • PTC_Windchill_10.2_Workgroup_Managers\installer_jres
  • I then placed these two files into the Client folder:
    • Silent.bat
    • Silent.properties
  • Make a .zip file with Client & installer_jres folders at the root level of the .zip
    • Name of .zip is wwgm_m030-cps22.zip

I then use the install script on the client, to copy the zip file to the client, unzip it, do the install and clean up after itself. (you'll want to have a proper wgmclient.ini file to place on the client after the install is complete.)

The uninstall of the previous version is another matter entirely. I had to create a couple .msi's last time, it's looking like I'm going to need to do the same thing again. 

Top Tags