cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

PTC_WM_CREATED_BY and PTC_WM_MODIFIED_BY in WC 10.2

TomU
23-Emerald IV

PTC_WM_CREATED_BY and PTC_WM_MODIFIED_BY in WC 10.2

For those that are using PTC_WM_CREATED or PTC_WM_MODIFIED on their drawings, this came through from PTC today:

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?source=subscription&n=CS146447

• Since Windchill 10.2 the value of PTC_WM_CREATED_BY and PTC_WM_MODIFIED_BY contains a bracket with the information “(<username>:<organization name>)"

• The preference User unique identifier display format controls the format string with the following options:

1. User name and organisation

2. Email

This means that starting in 10.2, if you use these system parameters on your drawings, the drawing will now display either just the email address of the user or the organization appended to the username. Nice. I wonder how many title blocks will have to be redesigned... Too bad they can't just add an option for "User Name" to at least maintain previous functionality.

22 REPLIES 22
tschweizer
9-Granite
(To:TomU)

Thats just unbelieveable!!

They changed it in 9, then in 10, and now in 10.2!

We want since years simple and clear the login of the user as ptc_wm_XXX on the Creo Drawing Titleblock, and if possible, Options like Creo Parametric should get the same set of Windchill Parameters as other CAD applications via WGM

In Fact, because of this case: Released Documents (Creo Drawings) will be changed because of the automatic Update of this Attribut Value. And this is not conform with most of Produkt Development Processes worldwide I think...

With this issue, it is almost impossible, to update our customer to 10.2.

Hi Thomas,

I totally agree with you. This cannot be the truth. So we have to wait until BOSCH, John Deere or someone else of the PTC named accounts is willing to upgrade and this issue will be marked as enterprise down because the drawings cannot be delivered anymore.

Nobody is perfect. But to close such calls with sentences "NO PLAN TO FIX" or "WORKS AS SPEC" is not acceptable even if just the channel is affected so far.

See you in Boston?

Regards

Tiemo

Hi Tiemo

Thank you 4 your support.

So please force your colleagues at INNEO to vote for the Idea to fix and enhance this:

Remove brackets from "PTC_WM_CREATED_BY" and "PTC_WM_MODIFIED_BY " in Creo 2.0 and Windchill PDMLink 10.2

I'm sure, you as a Platin Partner can also send some signals to PTC....

Actually, we have the Problem, that our Head Company Muller Martini (with at least 200 PDM Licenses) is willing to update from 10.1 to 10.2 because of the IE 10 Compatibility. But with this problem.... almost impossible to do...

I will miss Boston, but I will go in for the VAR Technical Symposium in September.

Will you be there?

Regards

Thomas

BjoernRueegg
17-Peridot

This is really a painful topic for all customer. PTC please add the option, which field should be transfered to Creo and other CAD: Fullname, login, alternative,.. and also let the values combine!. Also clean up the whole mess with PTC_... attributes between WGM and Creo WGM

Thanks

Please vote also for the following idea

Creo Parametric should get the same set of Windchill Parameters as other CAD applications via WGM

and

Remove brackets from "PTC_WM_CREATED_BY" and "PTC_WM_MODIFIED_BY " in Creo 2.0 and Windchill PDMLink 10.2

The Ideas links keep getting broken, and the 'Insert Link' tool just messes them up, but if you put them in and then strip out the attribute tags before and after the URL you actually want to show, using the HTML edit mode, you can make them work again, like this :

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/4068

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/3857

Just don't edit the posting again, or they get re-broken !

Maybe there's another idea here !!

Nick

I don't have a problem if the links are being inserted with command "Insert Link". Then the forum does convert it correctly.

You have to be logged in when you want to see the ideas.

Mat
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine

Hi Tom,

We are installing PDM Essentials 10.2 right now.

You wrote that the display format could be configured:

• The preference User unique identifier display format controls the format string with the following options:

1. User name and organisation

2. Email

Where? How? Hidden config.pro option?

Currently I am trying to get a workaround within "DRAWING PROGRAMM":

start_index=search(PTC_WM_CREATED_BY:D, " ")

DRW_FIRSTNAME:D=extract(PTC_WM_CREATED_BY:D,1,start_index)

END_INDEX:D=search(PTC_WM_CREATED_BY:D, "(")

DRW_LASTNAME:D=extract(PTC_WM_CREATED_BY:D,start_index+1,end_index)

But this is no solution for old drawings.

Cheers

Mat

PS: I would like to have the users email address in the title block.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Mat)

I have no idea if this applies to PDM Essentials. In PDM Link it's "Browse", "Site", "Utilities", "Preference Management", "Display", "User unique identifier display format".

user.PNG

Mat
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine

Thanks Tom!

It seems, that setting this option on Organisation level ("Organisation", "Utilities", "Preference Management", "Display", "User unique identifier display format") has no effect.

CeliaLee
1-Newbie

Here is a short summary as to how this issue arose and why it has taken so long to address:

There was a requirement to have unique identifiers for users implemented through the preference User unique identifier display format. During 10.0, an inconsistency was identified in user names where in some cases it showed the unique identifier, and in some cases it showed the display name. An spr was filed and fixed to use the unique identifier. This changed the format of PTC_WGM_CREATED_BY and PTC_WGM_MODIFIED_BY which resulted in more sprs from customers that did not want these values changing on drawings, etc.

There were several discussions about how to address the issues. The end result is that we need to introduce another option that allows users to decide if the unique identifier should be used for these attributes. If they are not to be used, the old format is retained.

That preference is going into 10.1 M050 and 10.2 M030.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:CeliaLee)

Yay! Thank you!

Really good news .

Thanks!

Thanks a lot for this feedback, Celia.

Changing the behavior of such relevant code should be discussed and handled with care because it leads to big impacts. Customers started with Pro/INTRALINK used PROI_CREATED_BY. Now it is called PTC_WM_CREATED_BY and customers have to enable dm_emulate_ilink_sys_parameters = yes to reuse their legacy migrated data. In ProductPoint is was named different again. Why?

In some locations around the globe it is restricted by law to keep those information on the drawing for years. That's why it is a realy big thing!

Some notes to your developer team:

I also came across those issues you described above and used some methodes to workaround them by calculating the expected user name using user.getFirst, user.getLast, aso...

But it is not realy good practice to mark code as deprecated (>=10.2 F000) and simply return "null" at the same time instead of removing it completely (even if those methodes are not part of supported API). If the result of those methodes are invalid why keeping them in the code. FMPOV deprecated code means that the result is valid but it is planed to change or remove in the future.

Customers and VARs do not recognize changes like that while compiling the code and run into trouble at a very late state.

Please remove methodes like user.getFirst if the result is not usable anymore.

Hopefully you will find a solution to satisfy all customers.

Honeywell is moving to 10.2 M020 and we have asked for patch on this issue and about to get in 1st OCT 2014.

This solution is not acceptable to our business units too.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:adesai)

That's really interesting since it correlates with the next release of Creo.

10.PNG

Unfortunately, for those of us on 10.2 M020, we're not supposed to see the fix until next year.

11.PNG

Maybe I'll have to ask for the patch early too!

AndyHermanson
12-Amethyst

Will we also be able to choose username like we used to? Would be nice to have options that we can call into

Capture.PNG

Mat
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine
(To:AndyHermanson)

I would prefer the user's email address. In the past it was very convenient for our suppliers to have the engineer's Email displayed on the drawing.

Maybe You could change "User unique ID display format" to something that could be user defined (like date_type_parameter_format).

Or is there a workaround by using "calculated attributes"?

NickD
8-Gravel

According to the latest posting (updated 19th Nov 2014) of Document-CS176501

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS176501

this important fix will now be made available in v10.2 M020-CPS06 , as well as in v10.2 M030.

According to the information shown on the Windchill Patch Set Calendar:

http://support.ptc.com/cs/product_calendar/WC_CPS.htm

v10.2 M020-CPS06 is released on Wednesday, 26th November 2014 - and is now available to download !

whereas according to the information shown on the Windchill Product Calendar:

http://support.ptc.com/cs/product_calendar/PTC_Product_Calendar.htm

v10.2 M030 is due out sometime in Q1-2015...

YES it works!

We already have tested the new v10.2 M020-CPS06 Patch on our 10.2 Testsystem and yes, it works!!!

Thank you 4 this Fix, it comes late, but not to late for our customer

Thomas

Thomas, thanks for letting us know.

This is really great news!

gwhite
1-Newbie
(To:NickD)

If you go to:

http://support.ptc.com/cs/product_calendar/WC_CPS.htm

It lists the release dates for the Critical Patch Sets.

Hopefully this helps,

Greg

NickD
8-Gravel
(To:gwhite)

sanp !

Top Tags