cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

PUBLISH ON REVISE

cspinelli
13-Aquamarine

PUBLISH ON REVISE

good morning,

i have a question: is it possible to start a publish job when users revise an object? for example, if i have a prt released in revision 1 with viewable for Creo View, when i revise the prt the viewable disappear.

thanks for answering

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The explanation I have had from PTC on this topic is that on revise nothing actually changes about the object other than its Revision, I had a similar issue where people would revise something, then immediately try to submit it for a Change notice and it would get rejected by the auditor because there was no representation and they were advised they needed to check-in immediately after revising.

So, two possible solutions:

1. Turn off "copy forward" of representations, then set up a schedule publish job to publish latest EPM documents with no representation, you may need to tailor your publish rules for the schedule job type in order to only publish certain states. "latest" is actually latest iteration of each revision, not latest version, so many older Revisions with no representation may also be published. you have to turn off "copy forward" otherwise the item wont get picked up int he shcedule
  2. Create a workflow, add an expression robot to perform a publish job on the PBO, trigger the workflow in the lifecycle on the state that your items get revised to.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:cspinelli)

Why would you want to do that?  The reason I ask is that revised file will look exactly like the one you revised it from.  There would be no design changes.

cspinelli
13-Aquamarine
(To:STEVEG)

for example i have a released model, say in revision 1, visible in Creo View. if i revise the model it will be no longer visible in Creo View until a checkin of the model.

and the assembly of the machine will be incomplete

cspinelli
13-Aquamarine
(To:Tdaugherty)

thanks but if i change those value the behaviour is the same...

One easy, bombproof way to publish on revise is with a listener.

The explanation I have had from PTC on this topic is that on revise nothing actually changes about the object other than its Revision, I had a similar issue where people would revise something, then immediately try to submit it for a Change notice and it would get rejected by the auditor because there was no representation and they were advised they needed to check-in immediately after revising.

So, two possible solutions:

1. Turn off "copy forward" of representations, then set up a schedule publish job to publish latest EPM documents with no representation, you may need to tailor your publish rules for the schedule job type in order to only publish certain states. "latest" is actually latest iteration of each revision, not latest version, so many older Revisions with no representation may also be published. you have to turn off "copy forward" otherwise the item wont get picked up int he shcedule
  2. Create a workflow, add an expression robot to perform a publish job on the PBO, trigger the workflow in the lifecycle on the state that your items get revised to.

In the database, if you look at the file linked for example to A.1, A.2, and then B.1, B.1 points to the same file as A.2. This for content holders (e.g. CAD Doc's, WTDocs, not WTParts).

It's actually best practice to not allow release of a Revision that is at the first iteration - it shows that nothing changed (so there was no reason to Revise).

Exception: May have a policy of keeping Revisions aligned so some may have been Revised with intentional edits; others Revised with no edits.  In this case, all that should not have had edits need to be at the first iteration.

@MikeLockwood wrote:

Exception: May have a policy of keeping Revisions aligned so some may have been Revised with intentional edits; others Revised with no edits.  In this case, all that should not have had edits need to be at the first iteration.

This is exactly the scenario I have seen in OEM where CAD WT and Document revision must be aligned, some change is required to WTPart attribute so all 3 get revisied, only WTPart gets iterated after revise, then Drawings with Revision in the drawing border table are incorrect and Documents with embedded attributes are incorrect.

Top Tags