cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Package best practices?

ahamblett
5-Regular Member

Package best practices?

Hello all, have a question regarding Windchill Packages...

I've compiled 600+ documents and drawings (Drawing only, no Dependents) into a package and routed it internally for review. During the time it took to review the package, however, a number of objects were revised and released. My question is, what is the best method of updating the package to exclude the now superceded objects? Should I have created a 'successor' Package to collect the existing and new objects? For now, I've manually excluded these older revisions but would appreciate any feedback on the subject. Along with any other Package best practices.

Thanks in advance!

-Adam Hamblett

3 REPLIES 3

Adam

You can, but I believe you will need to revise the package and I'm guessing the existing routing will not apply to the new package revision. Within a package is a managed collection, and an ability to update the contents is what makes this principally different to a baseline. Package has to be unlocked however, hence the reason to revise first.

Revise package and opt to refresh contents

10-05-12.png

For this to work the package collection must use specification "latest" and you should consider if this must also apply to initially selected not just the collected. Check current filter on the package collection to be sure before locking and creating a new delivery.

10-14-56.png

Regards

Darren

ahamblett
5-Regular Member
(To:DarrenStorey)

This is terrific feedback, Darren. Thank you for your time and response! Question though... the above insinuates that we must use a Managed Collection which is placed into a Package. Is that correct? In my scenario, I simply cut/pasted my search into the package. Thanks again.

You can create a managed collection in isolation, however when you create a package the managed collection "functionality" is embedded already. You don't have to take any extra steps, sorry for confussion.

Top Tags