cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Package

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Package

We are looking at using Packages. I am almost there. As an admin I can create Packages. But as one of my users I cannot. The user can get the files from a folder into the Add to Package page but when I select New Package I get Action Unavailable. You do not have create permission for this object.

I looked in the Policy Administration but did not see a Package Type. Is it listed as a different name?

Steve Galayda

4 REPLIES 4
svs
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:STEVEG)

Stephen,

Check if there is AbstractWorkPackage>Work Package in the list. That denotes Package.

[cid:image001.png@01CF8C99.BD2335C0]

With Regards,

Sriram Subramanian (Sri) | Pre-Sales Manager | Barry-Wehmiller Int'l Resources

O: 314-862-8000 Ext-506 | M:707-881-7744 / +91-9962014767
STEVEG
21-Topaz I

There it is. Fantastic! Thank you Sriram.

Steve G
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

We started using Packages in the past few months - very simple to start. Have created just over 400 so far. Using for sort of a non-standard need - to manage the data going to a vendor and other preparation the first time any component is purchased.
[cid:image002.png@01CF8C93.25F973E0]

A few lessons learned:

- Still don't quite understand the difference between these two OTB types. For now we made the 2nd one not substantiable.
[cid:image003.png@01CF8C93.25F973E0]
[cid:image004.png@01CF8C93.25F973E0]

- These types are listed like this in Policy Admin (confusing)

[cid:image001.png@01CF8C94.41DDB110]

- Package Routing works just like ProjectLink Document Routing. Need a lifecycle that is assigned on creation of a Package and likely a different one (or more than one) for Routing. The OTB Lifecycle for Package (like most Windchill objects) is the "Basic" Lifecycle. The states are: In Work, Released, Canceled. These don't seem like states that make sense for Packages; likely want to change. But - Realize that if you route the Package, then the states of the Lifecycle used to Route are put in their place, so it doesn't matter much. If you accomplish Package state changes only via routing, then the Lifecycle assigned on creation can have a single state; we did this.

- You can configure saved searched for this type; very handy. Query Builder Reports also.
[cid:image006.png@01CF8C94.87FEB9A0] [cid:image007.png@01CF8C94.87FEB9A0]

mlocascio
4-Participant

One day I would like to be in a position where I can actually make sense of
this "package" information. Something tells me that it is a distinct part of
Windchill.

Mike Locascio

Top Tags