cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Packages Functionality

gkemner
1-Newbie

Packages Functionality

Is anyone out there using the Packages functionality, either as intended or for some other purpose? Would be curious to here some feedback on that. Windchill Intralink 9.1
3 REPLIES 3
MartinHill
4-Participant
(To:gkemner)

We have just started to use packages properly (Windchill 9.1).

We are only using them as intended to control data that is sent outside of the company.

It works very well now that we have fixed a small problem we had with creating the Zip files.

At first it appeared that zipping the data took ages but it turned out to be the vizualization creation that was the hold up, since these are included in the package. By defaultthe publishing jobs that resulted from a package creation we set to low priority (we have low, medium and high priority queues) hence the hold up. Now we set them as high priority and the zip file appears much faster as expectd.

We are now seriously considering making packages manditory for all outgoing data.

I've seen people using packages to mainly get accurate data (the data gets run through the publishing engine and all meta data is up-to-date) out of the system.

1- Contract manufacturers access Windchill and download the package zips that have been built for them.

a. They can get an ENTIRE top level out and loaded into whatever MRP/ERP system they want

2- General people can get up to date CAD data (and associated data) out of Windchill without needing Creo.

a. Being that everything gets run through the publishing engine, it ensures all the meta-data is accurate.

[cid:image001.gif@01CD7AF9.DD87EAD0]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer

Hope it is okay to pick up this old thread up as it is related directly to my question . . .

I am attempting to use the 'Packages' functionality with an OOTB setup of Windchill 10.0 M020. I worked my way through a locked Package and a Delivery object with the Zip file attachment. Kinda cool and not so difficult to do.

Then the email was sent to the recipient EXCEPT without the Zip file attachment. Poked around and really didn't see much in the way of settings or options which might change this situation.

Hmmm? I searched my PTC User List and found the thread below from August.

Steve mentions below that the recipient has to "... access Windchill and download the package zips ..." I can see some value to this in that the receipt can be verified. However, I would be happy to forego that feature and not have to manage any Windchill access to what will likely be a large group of recipients. This seems so close to a simple solution to what we want to do, I sure hope someone can tell me that the Zip file can be sent via the automatically generated email.

Joe Lee

ICON Aircraft
Announcements

Top Tags