cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Part Attribute Update Import From Spreadsheet - Omit Name

SuperVaughn
10-Marble

Part Attribute Update Import From Spreadsheet - Omit Name

Gurus,

I'm needing to update a custom attribute for 500 wtparts. Is it possible to skip the Name and Revision columns in the import spreadsheet?

The Validator states: Following part attributes are required: Name

At the moment, the only process I can comprehend is to export all the Name and Revision data from the system for all the items, do some Excel work, then import again. Please share an easier method with me.

3 REPLIES 3

Assuming I understood what you want:

• If they are all in the same folder level, you should have edit multiple objects action in Folder context
  • If they are in the same BOM, you can update them directly in the structure tab (as long as you have the right view)
  • If you have all the numbers, you can search a semicolon separated list of numbers and use edit multiple objects action in search results

Thank you. Those are all great alternative methods to bulk edit items.

If I'm remembering correctly you can skip Name (we made some updates at 11.0), but you must have Revision or Windchill will not know what version you are trying to update.

There is also a preference that manages who to deal with blank cells in the spreadsheet:

Name  :  Empty Values When Importing from Spreadsheet
Description  :  When an object is imported from a spreadsheet, this preference determines if an empty attribute value remains blank or if the value from the previous iteration is used. The default is to use the value from the previous iteration.
Context  :  Site
Value  : 
Top Tags